Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the sims 3 work on this?

I'm trying to install the sims 3 base game on my new Macbook Pro 13" w/ retina display. It has mountain lion 10.8.4. I have a superdrive because all my sims 3 games are discs, but whenever I put the disc in and the icon for installing it appears it says, "You can not open the "Sims 3 Insaller" because Power PC applications are no longer supported."

I don't see why it can't work because the reqirements for the game is Mac OS X 10.5.7 Leopard or higher. So either I'm missing something or somethings wrong.

What does this mean?

Can I not play my sims 3 game on my computer?

Is there a way to install it?

Please answer because I'm very frustrated.

P.S. I own 9 different EP and they're all in disk forms, as well as the sims 3 medival and the base game.

So I would like to try and not buy all the games again!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 21, 2013 11:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2013 12:45 PM

The version of Sims3 you have is a PowerPC application. They will not work in Lion/Mountain Lion. Even though it says 10.5.7 or higher, when Apple stopped using Rosetta, it made all PowerPC Applications out of date.

If you want to run the game, you can install Snow Leopard server in a virtual machine and you should be able to run the game there.

Parallels

VirtualBox

VM Fusion

Snow Leopard server for use with the above. Call 1-800-692-7753 and order part number MC588Z/A. Cost is $19.99 + sales tax and shipping.

The other option is to create a 2nd partition on your hard drive, install Snow Leopard and then reboot between the partitions.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2013 12:45 PM in response to Sealeo14

The version of Sims3 you have is a PowerPC application. They will not work in Lion/Mountain Lion. Even though it says 10.5.7 or higher, when Apple stopped using Rosetta, it made all PowerPC Applications out of date.

If you want to run the game, you can install Snow Leopard server in a virtual machine and you should be able to run the game there.

Parallels

VirtualBox

VM Fusion

Snow Leopard server for use with the above. Call 1-800-692-7753 and order part number MC588Z/A. Cost is $19.99 + sales tax and shipping.

The other option is to create a 2nd partition on your hard drive, install Snow Leopard and then reboot between the partitions.

Aug 21, 2013 12:46 PM in response to Sealeo14

It looks like it won't work. Pretty much no software published before 2006 will run on Mountain Lion, because Macs used to use PowerPC CPUs and in 2006 they switched over to Intel CPUs. For a while there was compatibility software called Rosetta that enabled PowerPC software to run on Intel Macs, but Rosetta was removed in OS X 10.7 (Lion) and is not present on 10.8 (Mountain Lion).

So unless you have an updated version of the Sims which is a universal binary, you're out of luck.

Does the sims 3 work on this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.