Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone will not sync notes to icloud

iPhone 4, iOS 6

Posted on Aug 21, 2013 2:24 PM

12 replies

Apr 20, 2017 2:06 PM in response to randers4

I have notes synching to a folder in a folder in my icoud outlook folder, How do I create a note that can be synched to the icloud and my iphone. Why can't I get them put into a notes folder within outlook?

Aug 21, 2013 2:59 PM in response to tjc450913

If you open the Notes app on your device and see "Accounts" on the top left, tap it and make sure you are creating your notes in the iCloud account and not another account such as On My iPhone. Also, only notes created after turn notes on in Settings>iCloud will appear in your iCloud account, not notes created before enabling this option.

Oct 25, 2013 1:44 PM in response to randers4

Thanks for the info! I'm still figuring this stuff out and I was faced with the same confusion.

I've been an iPhone user for many years, but until now I have shied away from iCloud for various reasons, so in a sense I'm a total n00b. I just moved up to the 5S and got my first iPad. I figured they would work better if I put everything on iCloud so I'm making the move now.

I have a LOT of Note files and am very concerned about losing those and my Calendar entries.

When creating Notes on my iPhone how do I determine which account I'm creating them in? I guess all my old notes were from my computer as I have been synching to Outlook on a PC. IIn the past I was able to create notes on either my phone or PC and they easily synched back and forth. I suppose it's not possible to synch to both iCloud and the PC, right?

Please don't worry about dumbing down answers too much. The dumber the better for me. 😀

Thanks for any help!

Oct 25, 2013 2:05 PM in response to badcarburetor

First go to Settings>Notes>Default Account and set this to iCloud. Then open the Notes app and tap Accounts on the top left. In the window that opens, tap your iCloud account. Now just leave things this way. As long as you have selected your iCloud account in the Notes app, any new notes you create will be created in the iCloud account, and will automatically sync to your other devices.

You can sync notes with your PC using iCloud as long as you have Windows 7 or 8, and Outlook 2007 or higher. If you do, you can set up iCloud on your PC as explained here: http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/pc.html and check "Mail,Contacts,Calendars, and Tasks with Outlook" on the iCoud control panel for Windows (as shown in the image). Your notes will then appear in Outlook as a folder called "Notes" within your iCloud email.

When you turn on Notes syncing with iCloud, only new notes are added to iCloud. In order to get your old notes into iCloud you would have to copy and paste the text of each note into new notes created in the iCloud account.

If you're worried about your calendar, back it up in Outlook to a .pst file before enabling iCoud Calendar syncing. If anything goes wrong, you can restore it from that backup.

Jun 20, 2014 8:23 PM in response to randers4

I can't believe this. I inadvertently selected "on my iPhone" instead of the cloud and the device (iPhone 5s) won't let me change it. What's going on here?

Jun 21, 2014 3:10 AM in response to randers4

Cheez, this set up stuff is goofy. When I logged in I had to come up with a new user name - so now instead of Shiniquiet, I'm Nittany Nation,

Yes, I'm trying to change in Settings>Notes>Default Account. No error messages. When I get to Default Account "on my iPhone" is off to the right with a>. If I tap that it slides to another screen that simply has "on my iPhone" with a blue check mark on the right.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.