Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad won't back up automatically or manually. Can someone please help me? Thanks.

For some reason my iPad won't back up manually and the automatic back up isn't kicking in as well.

I have locked my screen, plugged into power source and still nothing.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Thank you.

Jeff

iPad 2, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Aug 21, 2013 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 4:24 AM

I have the same problem. My iPad hasn't successfully been backed up since 16th September this year. I have deleted all previous back-ups, logged out of and logged back into my icloud account, turned off all the apps and it still won't work. It goes through the process and the progress bar seems to get all the way to the end and then I get an error message to say 'the last backup could not be completed'! I don't know what else to do. I still have the full 4.9GB of storage available.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2015 4:24 AM in response to JeffTitelius

I have the same problem. My iPad hasn't successfully been backed up since 16th September this year. I have deleted all previous back-ups, logged out of and logged back into my icloud account, turned off all the apps and it still won't work. It goes through the process and the progress bar seems to get all the way to the end and then I get an error message to say 'the last backup could not be completed'! I don't know what else to do. I still have the full 4.9GB of storage available.

Nov 29, 2015 3:33 AM in response to SallyT.

How how annoying is it??? Apple does not even reply to support requests, it is the same for both my iPhone and iPad, both of which have not been backed up for almost a year. I have done everything suggested in these forums, none of any of them worked at all, but resulting in having no backups at all now whatsoever on either device, when at least previously I had one on my iPhone from February and one on the iPad that I am not sure of when that had been. I bought storage, as that was the prompt when I was first notified that backups were no longer being done, but that made absolutely no difference at all, it was just a big fat waste of money! I have no idea what to do about it either, you go to try and talk to the Genius in the Apple shop, and if you can manage to get one to talk to you they won't do anything unless you have backed up your device. Very very frustrating!!!

Oct 26, 2015 9:07 PM in response to JeffTitelius

I cannot backup either my iPhone or my iPad, I have bought more storage, I have unchecked every single app from backing up, I have turned manual back up on and off again and switched my devices off and on again, and deleted previous backups (so now instead of having a backup from February on my iPhone and a backup on my iPad from May, I now have no backups ever on either device). This is extremely frustrating, time consuming and annoying!! Can anyone help?

Aug 21, 2013 4:51 PM in response to JeffTitelius

This may be caused by a corrupt existing backup that needs to be deleted, or by data on your device that is causing the backup to fail. To troubleshoot these, try deleting your last iCloud backup (if you have one) by turning off iCloud Backup in Settings>iCloud>Storage & Backup, then tap Manage Storage, swipe across your backup and tap Delete, then go back and turn iCloud Backup back on and try backing up again.

If it still won't back up, you may have an app or something in your camera roll that is causing the backup to fail. To locate which one, go to Settings>iCloud>Storage & Backup>Manage Storage, tap the name of your device under Backups, under Backup Options tap Show All Apps, then turn them all to Off (including camera roll) and try backing up again. If the backup is successful, then the camera roll and/or one of your apps is causing the backup to fail and you'll have to located by process of elimination. Turn the camera roll On and try backing up again. If it succeeds, turn some of your apps to On and try backing up again. If it succeeds again, turn some more apps to On then try again; repeat this process until it fails. Eventually you'll be able to locate the problem app and exclude it from your backup.

Feb 20, 2016 3:16 AM in response to randers4

This worked for me too! Thank you for your help. I've been trying to find a solution for months! It looks like the photo library was what was stopping by backup. Is there anything you'd recommend to fix this, like deleting all pics currently on there? If it helps, it's an iPad which I rarely use to take pictures, they're generally all taken on my iPhone. Thanks!

My iPad won't back up automatically or manually. Can someone please help me? Thanks.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.