Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1st generation iPad won't turn on, charge or show in iTunes

My brother has given me his old iPad which he has rarely used. It is a first generation iPad. It has been powered off for roughly two years. I tried to charge it with a wall charger but I just kept geetin the Apple logo for a few seconds. The screen then goes black for a few seconds, then the Apple logo comes up again. I watched it for about five minutes and the same thing just keeps happening, Apple logo comes on and back off and back on and off. I have charged it for several hours and tried all of the solutions of holding the power and home buttons. A prompt to connect to iTunes has come up during this but when I unplugged the charger the screen went black again and nothing happened when I plugged it into my laptop. The iPad was not recognised by Windows or iTunes. After hours of trying I eventually got it into recovery mode and tried to restore the iPad through iTunes. I followed all the steps and at the end an error 1602 came up. I have repeated this process twice and still get the 1602 error. I am close to pulling my hair out at this stage. Nothing seems to be working. I have searched the internet for quite some time trying to find a solutions. All I came across was one person on Yahoo! answers with the exact same problem and they were told to come here. Any help is most aprreciated to end this frustration!!! I just want to restore it to factory settings and get some use out of it.

Thanks,

Gary.

iPad

Posted on Aug 21, 2013 4:53 PM

7 replies

Aug 21, 2013 4:58 PM in response to The Flynn Fella

Did you see this from the iTunes specific restore and update error codes web site? Have you tried another computer?

Error 1604

This error is often related to USB timing. Try changing USB ports, using a different dock connector to USB cable, and other available USB troubleshooting steps (troubleshooting USB connections. If you are using a dock, bypass it and connect directly to the white Apple USB dock connector cable. If the issue persists on a known-good computer, the device may need service.

If the issue is not resolved by USB isolation troubleshooting, and another computer is not available, try these steps to resolve the issue:

1. Connect the device to iTunes, confirm that the device is in Recovery Mode. If it's not in Recovery Mode, put it into Recovery Mode.
  2. Restore and wait for the error.
  3. When prompted, click OK.
  4. Close and reopen iTunes while the device remains connected.
  5. The device should now be recognized in Recovery Mode again.
  6. Try to restore again.

If the steps above do not resolve the issue, try restoring using a known-good USB cable, computer, and network connection.

Error 1600, 1601, 1602

Follow the steps listed above for Error 1604. This error may also be resolved by disabling, deactivating, or uninstalling third-party security, antivirus, and firewall software. See steps in this article for details on troubleshooting security software.

Jul 8, 2014 1:36 AM in response to not an apple genius mh

Recently, after receiving my IPad Air I wanted to give my 1st generation Ipad to my husband. I erased all the contents and settings but couldn't get it started again. It would just come up with a connect to iTunes picture. I am not too tech savvy but after a lot of struggle and frustration I was finally successful following the tips on these two websites:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1538

http://m.wikihow.com/Connect-an-iPad-to-iTunes

Hope it will help.

1st generation iPad won't turn on, charge or show in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.