Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine, Users, and Sharing

So I know that Time Machine is backing up all Users on my iMac. I just doubled checked that on my external drive. However, upon looking at some of the folders, I cannot access them since not all of our folders are shared between each other.

If (Heaven forbid) my iMac hard drive ever crashed, will I be able to access all Users and all folders on a neutral computer when recovering everything? Or will it all still be "locked," thus rendering the backup pretty much useless?

In other words, do we have to completely share everything with each other for it to properly back everything up AND have access on a neutral computer if we ever need to recover everything? Or on another computer we should have access?

I know it would seem rather foolish if access could not be granted in the backup, but I sure as heck want to make sure! Don't want to make assumptions here.

Posted on Aug 21, 2013 7:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2013 9:29 AM

CatAndTie wrote:

So I know that Time Machine is backing up all Users on my iMac. I just doubled checked that on my external drive. However, upon looking at some of the folders, I cannot access them since not all of our folders are shared between each other.

Correct. You don't have access to those folders on your Mac, either. Time Machine backups preserve the permissions on your Mac.

If (Heaven forbid) my iMac hard drive ever crashed, will I be able to access all Users and all folders on a neutral computer when recovering everything?

YES, basically, you can restore data in some ways whether or not you have permission to see its contents.

You'll have options:

• You can restore your entire system from any backup, current or previous, to a new or repaired internal HD, or an external HD. That includes all user folders, etc., including all permissions. See Time Machine - Frequently Asked Question #14 for the gory details.

• You can install OSX on a new, erased, or external HD, then use Setup Assistant to transfer apps, user accounts and data, settings, etc. from the most recent (completed) backup. With that, you can omit some broad categories, but again preserving all permissions. See Using Setup Assistant on Mountain Lion or Lion.

• Similarly, if you get a new Mac, you can use Setup Assistant just like the above.

• You can use the similar Migration Assistant to add some or all of those selected things to an existing Mac, leaving all its user accounts intact. See Using Migration Assistant on Mountain Lion or Lion.

• You may be able to use the Time Machine browser (the "Star Wars" display) to restore selected items into an existing user account, but that may require some finagling.

I sure as heck want to make sure! Don't want to make assumptions here.

Absolutely! 🙂

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2013 9:29 AM in response to CatAndTie

CatAndTie wrote:

Correct. You don't have access to those folders on your Mac, either. Time Machine backups preserve the permissions on your Mac.

If (Heaven forbid) my iMac hard drive ever crashed, will I be able to access all Users and all folders on a neutral computer when recovering everything?

YES, basically, you can restore data in some ways whether or not you have permission to see its contents.

You'll have options:

• You can restore your entire system from any backup, current or previous, to a new or repaired internal HD, or an external HD. That includes all user folders, etc., including all permissions. See Time Machine - Frequently Asked Question #14 for the gory details.

• You can install OSX on a new, erased, or external HD, then use Setup Assistant to transfer apps, user accounts and data, settings, etc. from the most recent (completed) backup. With that, you can omit some broad categories, but again preserving all permissions. See Using Setup Assistant on Mountain Lion or Lion.

• Similarly, if you get a new Mac, you can use Setup Assistant just like the above.

• You can use the similar Migration Assistant to add some or all of those selected things to an existing Mac, leaving all its user accounts intact. See Using Migration Assistant on Mountain Lion or Lion.

• You may be able to use the Time Machine browser (the "Star Wars" display) to restore selected items into an existing user account, but that may require some finagling.

I sure as heck want to make sure! Don't want to make assumptions here.

Absolutely! 🙂

Time Machine, Users, and Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.