Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I reset my NVRAM and now my hard drive is corrupted and unable to boot..

So I decided to reset my NVRAM because my computer was running slow and now when I try booting my computer on it just goes to a loading screen for a few seconds and then just shuts itself down. On the apple website it said it was safe but now the hard drive won't start.

I have a Mid-2012 Macbook Pro. 2.9GHZ, 8GB Memory, 750gb Hard Drive. 13"

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Aug 22, 2013 12:03 AM

12 replies

Nov 17, 2017 8:55 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Actually I agree with the person who posted the question but wouldn't mind hearing your reasons for why an nvram reset would expedite the failure of a failing drive. Is there some legitimate research you've based this statement on? Please link to it.

I didn't know hard drives were recoverable...and considering that everyone has assumed the drive failed because the computer shut itself down makes me wonder what you came to that conclusion with as well. Apple's developer documentation states that if a unrecoverable kernel panic happens that the computer will shutdown. This is most likely to be caused by a kernel extension and considering that the startup time is when kernel extensions are loaded to the operating system it seems most likely that a kernel panic was to blame and since reinstalling the OS fixed it I'd say it was a "corrupt" kext that was to blame.

Wonder how that got there....

Also uh the computer in question has nvram not pram so considering thats what the questions asked once again I second the OP's opinion. Also nvram can store data about which disk to boot to, and specifically cause a computer to shutdown if its connected in a raid If you can’t start up after resetting NVRAM or PRAM - Apple Support setup..a common feature of a computer that's been "corrupted" to be part of a botnet.

Can anyone explain this statement? They've answered how many questions with this level of expertise? Their super awesome ranking indicates 18700 of their answers have been marked helpful...smh.

"However, the slowness you experienced tells you that something happened with the hard drive"

However that was determined I'd love to know. If that was the case then spindump would mean new harddrive.

Nov 21, 2017 7:00 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Asking someone for evidence to support their claims isn't exactly demanding the moon, unless of course they can't provide proof. In that case I understand your frustration.

I shouldn't have made such a careless, first world assumption that everyone has google and also knows about kernel debugging or the way in which experience points are allocated on this website. I really have to remember to check my tech privilege sometimes.

You can lookup these topics on the search engine www.google.com using keywords for the topic of interest like "kernel panic", "tech specs for 2012 MacBook Pro". You should able to locate supporting information on one of the top 10 results listed but if you have trouble with any of this or want more information about a specific topic let me know. I'm happy to provide you a useful link should you find the steps above challenging, happen to get lost, or if the internet in your region is underdeveloped or censored.

Nov 21, 2017 7:06 PM in response to etresoft

I googled a topic and this came up first.

The person gives bad advice which many people have read and it will Probably continue to be a top hit on google for the topic.

About as far from personal as one can get since I've never read a single comment from the random anonymous could be just about anyone user I was referring to.

Not attacks, just the facts.

Nov 22, 2017 5:25 AM in response to chase_daniel

The best answer you could come up after three days is, "I know you are, but what am I."?

Soooo, you couldn't come up with a single instance to verify anything you stated above. Being unable to do that, you attempt the very weak tactic of throwing the request for proof back at me.

If this were a courtroom you would be losing - badly. Good to provide evidence though why no one should pay attention to a single thing you say.

Nov 25, 2017 2:04 PM in response to chase_daniel

chase_daniel wrote:

The person gives bad advice which many people have read and it will Probably continue to be a top hit on google for the topic.

Regardless of how you feel about the quality of someone else's advice, it is best to reply only to the original poster and ignore other comments. There have been a number of personal disputes here on Apple Support Communities. The one thing that always attracts the attention of the hosts is when helpers start fighting amongst themselves. If there is someone else in a thread that you don't like or you don't agree with, it is best to just put on blinders and assume you are in a private conversation with the original poster and ignore everyone else. They might even delete my reply to you because we are in a side discussion that has nothing to do with the original question.

Aug 22, 2013 12:07 AM in response to dippypants

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

The PRAM reset has nothing to do with a hard disk issue. The PRAM reset just resets the startup disk to factory settings, and OS X is still selected as the default volume to start from, so this didn't cause the problem.

However, the slowness you experienced tells you that something happened with the hard drive, and the worst you can do is to restart your Mac, because you don't know if Mac OS X will start up properly. In your case, your hard disk has died.

Now you have to look for a new hard drive for your MacBook Pro. Any 2'5" SATA hard drive should work. Have a look at OWC to look for hard disks > http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/2.5-Notebook/ Seagate and HGST drives have good reputation.

To reinstall Mac OS X after installing the hard disk, hold Command, Option (Alt) and R keys while your Mac is starting and use Disk Utility to format your hard disk in "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" > http://pondini.org/OSX/DU1.html Then, close Disk Utility and reinstall. If you have a Time Machine backup, choose the option to restore a Time Machine backup

Aug 22, 2013 6:13 AM in response to dippypants

mende1 know full well what he's talking about. It's quite obvious you don't, or you'd know zapping the PRAM has absolutely nothing to do with how a hard drive operates.

The drive had/has serious problems of its own. It was circumstance only that its failure to startup followed an NVRAM reset. It was going to fail regardless.

As mende1 said, backup your important data NOW. A hard drive that failed once will fail again at some point. If you were smart, you'd replace the drive NOW.

I reset my NVRAM and now my hard drive is corrupted and unable to boot..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.