Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mountain Lion login/security screen keyboard/trackpad non-functional

At my login/security screen my computer looks for a bluetooth/USB keyboard and makes my laptop keyboard/trackpad non functional. The first two times I was eventually able to type in my username and password, seemingly without having done anything. Last time I logged in a turned off Bluetooth.

Most recently at the login/security screen the computer tried again to look for a keyboard and it did so indefinitely (at least 12 hours). I have been unablew to use the keyboard/trackpad whatsoever.

I have a wireless mouse that works ans the start up/shut down button works.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 22, 2013 1:00 AM

5 replies

Aug 22, 2013 9:17 AM in response to v6b3x4

First make sure the batteries aren't dead and that the keyboard hasn't already been paired with another device. If it hasn't, the keyboard should pair automatically when you reboot. You may have to press and hold the power button on the right side of an Apple keyboard until the LED starts flashing.

Otherwise see these support articles:

Mac mini (Mid 2011 and later) and iMac (Late 2012): Bluetooth keyboard may not pair during Setup Assistant

Apple Wireless Keyboard: Difficulty during pairing process

If you have a third-party Bluetooth keyboard, you may need a wired keyboard to complete the pairing process. It's a good idea to keep a cheap wired keyboard and mouse or trackball as backups for a desktop Mac anyway, because Bluetooth isn't completely reliable.

Aug 22, 2013 10:26 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hello Linc,

Thank you for your reply and suggestion. I apologise I didn't provide more information in my original post; such as:

• I am using a MacBook Air, 1.4 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

• I had never used a keyboard with it prior to this moment [had to borrow one from a local shop]

• Had not recently been usin any Bluetooth device and not sure why I had it on.

UPDATE

After I left the shop yesterday I turned the computer on at home and was able to login immediately using the laptop's keyboar.

Turned the computer off for the night and when I turned it on today I could not use the computer's trackpad or keyborad. Had to use the borrowed [10+ years old] eMac keyboard. Once I was logged in the keyboard and trackpad were not functioning although they now seem to be working.

I was just going to eliminate the security login screen but the non-function of the keyboard and trackpad after login have increased my conern and I am leaning toward a reinstall of the [i think] OS X 10.6 which came with my computer and request a refund from Apple for my purchase of Mountain Lion which feels like I am using an iPad on my laptop.

Thanks again, Yuri

Aug 23, 2013 11:00 PM in response to v6b3x4

UPDATE:

I find this incredible: I reinstalled the OS X 10.6 which came with my MacBook Air and the built in keyboard and track pad still do not work.

Can it really be a hardware issue? Even as inconsistant as the malfunction has been?

OFF TOPIC:

Regardless -if Apple is listening or happens to care- I am inching closer and closer to giving up on Apple and their Mac computers; as much as I dislike Windows and many laptops running them I've been using Macs long before iPods and iPhones made them what they are today and seen the companies hardware and OS slowly decline in regard to quality and functionality. Their seeming disregard for long-time so-called power users is shameful considering it is that group which kept the company afloat until Jobs came back and reinvigorated the company.

Aug 23, 2013 11:42 PM in response to v6b3x4

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.
The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, or by corruption of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled on some models, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain iMacs. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.
The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Aug 24, 2013 3:38 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you once again, however, as my previous post notes I took the somewhat excessive step[s] of erasing my hard drive and reinstalling OS X 10.6

Aside from being impatient I am inclined to think it's not a bad thing to do every year or so regardless.

And after all that, also as noted, the keyboard and trackpad were still non functioning.

Bewildering to me as I can see no reason as to why I would suddenley have a hardware problem.

I have since left my computer with the local Apple shop / reseller [I am in Southern Vietnam] to see if they can resolve the problem. Failing that I will buy a wireless keyboard [hopefully not an Apple] as it will be the least expensive solution.

Thank you, Yuri

Mountain Lion login/security screen keyboard/trackpad non-functional

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.