Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Store did Data Transfer to new Mach. Do I need to do Boot Camp all over again to run my Paralles/Windows?

HI.

In May, I used Boot Camp to partition my MacBookPro and then installed Parallels and Windows. Worked great!

Two weeks later my MBP died. 😟

In order to save my students projects which I'd saved that week on my book (yup, without backing up daily) they did a data transfer for me to my new MBP and I left the store without crying over lost work!

Now however, when I click on my Paralles Icon it won't work. I get this:

User uploaded file

I'm not sure what to do or how to get this working again!

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Aug 22, 2013 7:51 AM

7 replies

Aug 22, 2013 9:08 AM in response to cleary099

no you should not have to buy parallels again

if you installed windows normaly in boot camp once more you should

be able to get the parallels install to point at that install and use that insted

if you just need parallels and not full bootcamp (you only really need full bootcamp if you play games or demanding 3d apps or need to access all the memory ) otherwise you can just install windows as a normal virtual machine in parallels in which case the windows install will not be a part of the harddisk but be a file on the osx hd and that way be included in the normal time machine backup

tl;dr

bootcamp with parallels is having virtual machine software access a nother partition to run the operation system

rather then a file, which is the normal way virtual machines access operating systems.

Aug 22, 2013 10:04 AM in response to Rudegar

I think that I used Boot Camp on the old machine so as not to lose performance speed since I was having trouble with the machine already....hence it was old and time to put it to pasture!

I didn't realize that I could put windows on Without using Boot Camp!

At this point though, I am not sure how to do what you suggested. Where could I find instructions on how to do this?

"just install windows as a normal virtual machine in parallels in which case the windows install will not be a part of the harddisk but be a file on the osx hd and that way be included in the normal time machine backup"

Thank you so much for answering today! You've been so helpful!

Aug 23, 2013 2:48 AM in response to cleary099

no you did not do it throught boot camp

boot camp is when you start up your computer and hold down option and choose for it to not start osx at all but start windows insted

what you were doing was running virutal machine using parallel which just happened to rather then load it image from a file read it from the boot camp parition

unless you ever held down the option key and started windows windows without osx

then you have always run it as a virtuel machine just from a location which was skipped by your backup system

so you kinda cheated yourself first of all then it's more trouble to install windows under bootcamp then in a virtual machine

and when in bootcamp then as you've seen is not a part of a backup

read more here

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3321

Apple Store did Data Transfer to new Mach. Do I need to do Boot Camp all over again to run my Paralles/Windows?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.