Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone experienced the loss of audio when using Apple TV when it has been working fine?

I can't get any audio through my reciever when using Apple TV. It's been working fine until a week ago. I've check my reciever, unplug the TV, and Apple TV as described but nothing. I switch to my Direct TV input and I can get audio when not using ATV. I've tried most everything I've read on blogs but nothing. One of those "pull your hair out" issues. Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks, Vince

MacBook Air, iOS 1.x

Posted on Aug 22, 2013 8:48 AM

12 replies

Aug 24, 2013 10:00 AM in response to Vfall

Hi there Vfall!

I have some information for you that can help you troubleshoot this issue:

If you can see video but can't hear sound

1. If Apple TV is connected to a receiver, make sure the receiver is turned on.
  2. Make sure the input setting you've selected on your receiver matches the input you have your audio cables connected to. See the documentation that came with your receiver for more information.
  3. Make sure the volume on your TV or receiver is turned up and isn't muted.
  4. Check whether you can hear sound while playing video only. Also, check whether you can hear audio feedback while clicking through menu options.
  5. If you're connected to the HDMI port on your TV and Apple TV, make sure your TV supports audio through its HDMI port. The HDMI ports on some older TVs support only video.
  6. If you are using HDMI audio, try disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable.
  7. If you're connected to the HDMI port on your TV and Apple TV, make sure your TV is setup to receive audio from HDMI. For some TV's this is automatic, but for others there is a choice between digital and analog (for HDMI audio, choose digital). Read more about HDMI audio.
  8. Try the other audio outputs on Apple TV to see if they work.
  9. If possible, try using different audio cables.

This information is taken from the following article:

Apple TV: Basic troubleshooting

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1551

Thanks for coming to the Apple Support Communities!

Regards,

Braden

Dec 14, 2013 2:48 PM in response to Vfall

I started having this problem yesterday (dec 14, 2013) after years of flawless ussage.. The menu's do make sound but when playing any video/stream there is no audio going to my receiver... Restarting the appletv from the settings menu solves it temprarily for me.. I though the device was starting to die perhaps but i'm noticing more people suddenly experiencing this.

I do use a HDMI switch but it never cause issues before...

Jan 2, 2014 12:42 AM in response to braden85

Hi Braden

I am assuming you are from Apple. I am having the same problem as Vfall and others. As Vfall carefully explains everything has been working properly until it doesn't. Nothing has changed in terms of HDMI connections, TVs, receivers, etc. That issue is the same for me. Everything worked until today. I have changed nothing. Audio just stopped working. It's fine when watching directly videos, movies, etc via the TV, but not when watching video through my iMac with AirPlay on. It's been working for a year, then poof, gone. I've done everything recommended on the support pages, rebooted Apple TV, downloaded latest software, resynch'ed TV, receiver and Apple TV in order as recommended and nothing changes. Very frustrating. Can anybody help?

Jan 4, 2014 7:24 PM in response to Vfall

I've also had audio problems for a month or so that I never had before, which led me to think it's something with a recent update. The Apple TV 2 and Onkyo receiver haven't changed, but now audio streaming stops from my computer to my Airport Express when I make any HDMI input change on the the receiver, even to inputs other than the one Apple TV is connected to (say turning on or off the receiver to watch TV or a DVD).

Jan 14, 2014 2:49 PM in response to Vfall

Add me to the list.

Been working fine for years but now losing audio.

I have version 6.0.2 (6646.81.1)

Menu is also silent unless I click rapidly around the menu and then I will hear an occasional sound (but not for every button press though)

If I reboot the Apple TV sound returns fully again for a while. Long enough to watch movies etc. but after a period of idle time, I.e. Overnight, the problem returns. I am also connecting HDMI through a Pioneer amp, and don't have any problems with any other devices.

The fact that menu navigation produces random sounds and full Apple TV reboot returns full sound suggests to me the problem lies with the Apple TV and not the cables or amplifier.

Jan 16, 2014 11:44 PM in response to Vfall

So I had this same problem and because I was still under warranty they did nothing at apple but replace it low and behold it worked when I got home cuz duh it was a new one but it started happening again..... So leads me to believe there is a software glitch somewhere! Yes the pointer sounds work like everyone else but when you stream anything nothing plays audio.... YES restarting works but it's just TEMPORARY why should I have to restart it all the time !!! Please help.... For more info I do have mine connected through a receiver the model is a Denon AVR-1611 I don't know if everyone else's is connected through a receiver

Jan 17, 2014 6:22 AM in response to 95bulls

95bulls wrote:

See if this helps: http://appletv2.com/apple-tv-no-audio-fix/

So the first step in this link suggested rebooting the Apple TV, and that's the whole point. Rebooting DOES resolve this, but only temporarily.
So changing the audio/video settings would seem to be irrelevant, since If the Audio/Video settings are wrong it wouldn't work at all.

Mar 20, 2015 9:05 PM in response to Vfall

Okay,spent 90 mins on phone with nice apple person but they couldn't fix it. Got off the phone and solved it.

Here it is-

In SETTINGS, then AIRPLAY, near the bottom in small letters it says "speakers". My "airport express" router had a check mark when in fact "APPLE TV" should have been checked. Switched the check so that the speakers were assigned to APPLE TV and badabing, audio works!

Hallelujah!

Has anyone experienced the loss of audio when using Apple TV when it has been working fine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.