Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Share Mac from PC

We have a Mac running ProPresenter to run slides in our lobby, this laptop is not mounted in the best location, it is high up. I know there is screen sharing and this would work great, but the rest of the cmoputers are PCs. I have attempted 2 VNC viewers and both would connect, but I need one that will connect to the session that is currently logged in, to be able to edit the slides. Anyone know a VNC view software on windows that supports this and how do I configure it? Thanks

Posted on Aug 22, 2013 8:42 AM

6 replies

Aug 23, 2013 6:23 AM in response to rustykerr123

Why not try TeamViewer.com, which is cross platform.

To use a 3rd party VNC client, you have to configure

System Preferences -> Sharing -> Screen Sharing -> Computer Settings -> [X] VNC viewers may control screen with password: <provide your password here>

This should allow your PC based VNC clients to work with Mac OS X Screen Sharing.

VNC clients will connect to the logged active user.

However, Mac OS X VNC server has been known to be picky about talking to 3rd party VNC clients, so you may need to try several. Also you must allow the Mac OS X VNC server to specify the screen resolution and color depth. Some VNC Clients give you the option to use fewer colors, but Mac OS X Server does not play nice with reduced colors.

Another option would be to disable the Mac OS X Screen Sharing option, and install a 3rd party VNC server, such as the "Vine Server"

Vine Server (aka OSXvnc)

<http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11283/vine-server-%26-viewer>

which does play nice with 3rd party VNC clients.

But in all truth, I would look at TeamViewer.com as it is very robust and I have found it easier to use in many situations where I do not want to play cross platform games with Mac OS X built-in apps and services.

Jun 2, 2015 10:33 AM in response to jorgefilemon

Without jumping through hoops there is no other way I know of.

TeamViewer can do, exclusively, internal network interface.

On the computer to be controlled (remote computer), in the teamviewer settings, you have to enable LAN connection.

In that particular part of the settings you can either select "accept LAN connections" which will allow the computer to be controlled from the internet and LAN connections or "Accept Exclusively" which will close teamviewer from the internet and only accept connections from the Local Area Network.

Find the IP address of the computer to be controlled (remote computer).

From the computer you're controlling from (Local computer) enter the IP address for the remote computer. You enter this IP address in the "partner ID" box.

If a user and password was set up in the remote computer's teamviewer you will have to enter that before advancing to control.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you need help adding a LAN computer to the list of computers in teamviewer as well as how to store passwords for computers in your list.

Jun 2, 2015 11:14 AM in response to jorgefilemon

You can use a VNC client on the PC assuming you want to view the Mac from the PC. You will have to configure the Mac to have a VNC password.

System Preferences -> Sharing -> Screen Sharing -> Computer Settings -> VNC viewers may control screen with password [___________]

If you are going from the Mac to the PC, then you may be able to use Microsoft Remote Desktop client on the Mac. You can get that from the Mac's App Store app.

If Microsoft Remote Desktop is not an option, then you would need to get a VNC server for the PC. On the Mac you would connect to the PC's VNC server using Finder -> Go -> Connect to server -> vnc://pc.address.on.local.net

Have fun.

Screen Share Mac from PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.