Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error 46: Could not load or find the QuickTime ActiveX

Hello all,

I have had this error as a long time problem. I have tried everything I can find here and on the web over the last 6 months or so trying to fix it. I just spent 4 hours taking ownership of registry keys and subkeys (separately, they would not allow me to propagate the ownership downwards) so I could delete them after uninstalling Quicktime on Windows 8 64 bit. I have a QT Pro license that I need to use and feel like there is no hope getting this install to work. After removing all of the broken keys I reinstalled QT and have the same error.

Previous versions worked fine. Then I had one of those update reminders (earlier this year) and went ahead and let it install. Normally I ignore them, worried that something like this might happen. Well, it hasn't worked since. It seems to have broken ownership and permissions on dozens of registry keys. No exaggeration, dozens. I can see from searching the web that this is a long standing problem that some have found a fix for but that fix does not work for me. The reset.cmd routine looked promising, but failed. I followed all of the directions word for word except the part about setting the reset.cmd file to run in compatibility mode. I do not have a compatibility tab on .cmd files like I do for the subinacl.exe file. I am the administrator of the computer and I am the only user.

Does anyone have any suggestions, and is Apple going to do anything to fix this problem that has affected so many people so future installs work?

Quicktime Pro-OTHER, Windows 8, Error 46

Posted on Aug 22, 2013 10:15 AM

9 replies

Aug 24, 2013 12:42 PM in response to SeekerJBP

What I would do is uninstall QT, search and remove "everything" left behind. Including old msi files in C:\WINDOWS\Installer. Then delete every registry key pertaining to QT and Apple which will take awhile hitting the F3 key. If there isn't a trace of QT left on that computer. Then a new install of QT should run without this error 46, I would think that should work.

SeekerJBP, I haven't expierenced this error 46 myself, but have seen the websites on the fix, in the past few years, which have seemed to work for some and not others. So this is basically what I would try, really clean house on the computer, of QT. Rather than taking ownership of registry keys, but just totally deleting them

Dec 23, 2014 2:49 PM in response to SandraC1123

Hi Sandra, how neat and that this would appear from so long ago what an old post, sorry I didn't get it right. What is the default browser and operating system? When does this happen? I assume when initially trying to open QuickTime? Let me give this another try with a little focus on ActiveX control which appears to be a QuickTime add-on.

Open Internet Explorer. At the top of the page all the way to the right is a gear type icon. Click on it and go to Manage Add-ons. They'll be QuickTime Object & QuickTimeCheck Class, which are ActiveX type. If they are Disabled. Enable them. You can do this by right clicking on them. Then see if QuickTime will open?

Dec 23, 2014 3:44 PM in response to Jacumba

I thank you for the suggestions, but I had already tried all of those. More than once.

Doesn't really matter now, because after the crap that passed for Apple support. I bought Quicktime Pro, an APPLE product, but since I don't have a Mac (Win 7 64bit Pro) they can't be bothered.

I even called Apple support, and although this is a problem with both PCs and Macs, because I'm not using a Mac they refused to assist to fix the issue. I ended up going to Microsoft Answer tech, and guess what? They were quite familiar with Apple (lack of) Support, and they fixed the problem.

The problem arises from an issue with Quicktime, how it installs and writes certain keys in the registry itself. If you have more than one User Account on your PC, and you installed it under one user account and that account is no longer there, those keys/registry entries can't be changed because you would have to use that now gone account to change permissions in the registry to do so. I guess this was some sort of half-baked idea to prevent ... something, but what it ended up doing it causing problems.

For those fobbed off by Apple NON-Support, this is the fix, Free of Charge: there is a utility called "Tweak.Com - Windows Repair (All In One)".

Dec 23, 2014 4:41 PM in response to SandraC1123

Sandra, I have to disagree with you trashing Apple support or this forum. After me making the last post on the subject. I put some thought into the problem and read some websites on the error. And came to the conclusion that it had to be related to permissions. And that was where I was going to bring it next.

The so called "now gone account" would not be an issue. You simply did not have enough knowledge with Windows permissions to make the changes. And that is a fact. In reading the original post. What was said is, he or she, was the administrator of the computer and only user. I doubted that too.

So what you're saying is if a user account on Windows is deleted. Than an administrator of a Windows computer cannot gain control of the computer? But some software like Tweak.com does? Come on, be sensible at least? lol

Dec 23, 2014 5:23 PM in response to Jacumba

Actually, I am an old hand at delving into the registry and tweaking it, have been for 15+ years. But my "trashing"... when I get told by Apple support themselves they know about this problem, and even know how fix it, but since I don't have a Mac they won't.... they deserve a bit of a textual spanking.

Also, did you miss the part that this also happens to Mac users? Either way, not going to argue. Apple sells a product, then doesn't support it. End of Story. Tweak does it automatically, for those (unlike me) who don't know how to or are reluctant to make registry edits.

Error 46: Could not load or find the QuickTime ActiveX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.