Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Configure IPv4" keeps changing. By itself. Why?

I need to use a static IP on someone's computer, but it keeps changing itself back to a self-assigned IP. Any ideas why or how I can stop this from happening?

I need a static IP so that I can set port forwarding up, so that I can use Remote Management to work on their computer, so, on their computer I get them to go to System Preferences >> Network >> Airport >> Advanced >> TCP/IP >> change "Configure IPv4" from "using DHCP" to "using DHCP with manual address" and set my IP address to the correct value... >> OK >> Apply. This works perfectly, I can connect and work on their computer just fine.

A day later (without anyone doing ANYTHING in system preferences) I try to connect again and can't, because their computer has changed it's "Configure IPv4" value back to "using DHCP" and thus assigned itself a different IP address, and thus the port forward doesn't work. (They could possibly have restarted their computer in this time - not sure) So I get them to change it back to "using DHCP with manual address" again and reenter the IP address I want again and voila! We're in business again... for a few hours. Then it has reverted again, I have to get them to set it to use a manual address again. And again. And again.

We are both using Macbook Pros with Snow Leopard. I am using a VNC program to connect to their computer such that I can install software, setup mail etc for them, as they are largely computer illiterate.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 22, 2013 2:53 PM

There are no replies.

"Configure IPv4" keeps changing. By itself. Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.