Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My G4 cuts out afew minutes after startup

My G4, Mirrored Doors, dual 1GH, starts up fine and a few minutes later as it warms up it turns off. I replaced the motherboardand it has a new battery but the problem still exists. Is it possible it's the processor? Any ideas?

PowerMac, iOS 6.1.4, PowerMac3,6 Mirrrored Doors 2x 1Ghz

Posted on Aug 22, 2013 5:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2013 7:32 PM

That is one symptom of overheating. The computer starts when cool but the fans don't keep temps in the safe range. The computer then does a safety shutdown.

If you have the original system disks that came with the computer, run Apple Hardware test from the disk and tell us any errors it reports.

Make sure that all the air paths are clean, especially the main air intake. It is not the four holes in the front panel but rather a grill area behind. If you tip the computer on one side you'll see where it is.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2013 7:32 PM in response to patman10

That is one symptom of overheating. The computer starts when cool but the fans don't keep temps in the safe range. The computer then does a safety shutdown.

If you have the original system disks that came with the computer, run Apple Hardware test from the disk and tell us any errors it reports.

Make sure that all the air paths are clean, especially the main air intake. It is not the four holes in the front panel but rather a grill area behind. If you tip the computer on one side you'll see where it is.

My G4 cuts out afew minutes after startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.