Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to get readability statistics using Pages? If so, how?

I'm an AP students and I need to be able to access the readability statistics of my essays, but my teacher gave the instructions for Microsoft Word programs and pretty much gave me the "you're on your own" excuse when I asked how to find this tool using my program. I've tried browsing through a few forums and the toolbar, but I haven't quite managed to find it. Is there a way to access this feature through Pages, or is the feature nonexistant?
~Thank you so much for your time.

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 22, 2013 5:14 PM

9 replies

Aug 22, 2013 5:55 PM in response to gabriellerenee

Hi Gabrielle,

What were the instructions given you for MS Word?

Do you have a name for the readability measure your instructor wants? (There are several.)

I'm not aware of a built in readability estimating function in Pages, but it may be possible to do the calculations elsewhere.

There are some readability tests online into which you can paste your text and obtain several standard readabiity scores.

Regrds,

Barry

Aug 22, 2013 6:39 PM in response to gabriellerenee

I find these about as useful as lips on a chicken.

…or judging food by the "nutrition" label on the backs of packets.

1. If you are getting your food from a packet that could, maybe, possibly, on the off chance, be the problem already

2. If you can't tell the bleeding obvious just by looking at it, you are lost already. No amount of statistics is going to do anything but further confuse the already bewildered.

3. If you haven't noticed the more tools we have like readability calculators, grammar checkers and spell checkers, the worse the end result.

It is a little bit like jogging magazines. If you are reading it, you are not doing it.

Peter

Aug 22, 2013 7:49 PM in response to Barry

It is a mark of our times that that is seen as achieving the end result. Nobody closes the loop to check the result of this policy actually does what it is supposed to.

I have just migrated from a VDSL modem to an ADSL2+ router. A painfully drawn out procedure that lead to days of calls to support trying to fix what was broke (still ongoing). The ISP has an automated survey that quizes me every single time how satisfied I was, and asks me to rate the support on a long list of factors.

This keeps some middle manager in employment collating the results and filing reports on something they clearly have no grasp of.

As I pointed out, if the feedback was doing anything the obvious problems and failures would actually get fixed and the surveys would not be necessary. As it is they are measuring and printing out the declining life signs of the patient whilst the witchdoctor dances around the patient rattling his bones and burning feathers.

Apple is as guilty of this as every other bloated bureaucracy. Computers just speed up the process of generating what is mostly rubbish, and almost universally misunderstood and ignored "feedback".

Peter

Aug 22, 2013 8:09 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

Hi Gabrielle,

I did some checking on two online readabiity calculators I found online, plus the one linked in Jerry's post.

Sites checked were:

1. Reading Score dot com
  2. Readability Calculator
  3. Readability Index Calculator

My first sample was a newspaper article (a sports section story) from today's Vancouver Sun, the other two were online articles discussing the availability of the tool in MS Word, followed by the scores reported for their articles.

User uploaded file

The two articles are here and here.

Regards,

Barry

Is it possible to get readability statistics using Pages? If so, how?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.