Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to access Mac OS X partition while in Windows 8?

I just installed Windows 8 on my Imac and I cannot figure out how to access my Mac OS X partition to open and view files. The Boot Camp help menu says "When you're using Windows, you can open and view files on the Mac OS X partition. To modify a file, copy it to your Windows partition." I cannot find the Mac drive anywhere, am I missing something?

Posted on Aug 22, 2013 6:42 PM

9 replies

Aug 23, 2013 7:43 AM in response to Patbookpro

my imac came with 2tb hd

I used osx bootcamp tool to device that into 1tb for osx and 1tb for windows

this was in the Lion days

then I installed Windows 7 ultimate 64bit

installed the apple hardware disc and

got the drivers and the boot camp tool for windows

and the Macintosh HD(E:) in my computer

later on I updated to windows8 pro and to mtn lion and got the newer drivers for win8

but the rest of the stuff just been the same as when I first installed

my windows hd also show up in finder in osx both hd's are read only when I'm in the other os bootup

Aug 23, 2013 8:13 AM in response to The hatter

I am not in front of my imac right now, so I don't know the specifics, but it's a 3tb fusion drive 27" IMac. I have windows 8 a 250gb partition and the rest is for the Mac OS X.

I followed the instructions and downloaded all the drivers from a USB to the windows partition. I have the boot camp control in the system tray but I can't seem to view my Mac partition in explorer.

As of now I just want to be able to view the mac partition and pull files from it.

Aug 23, 2013 10:46 AM in response to Patbookpro

I actually found some information regarding this issue posted back in July (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5147165?start=0&tstart=0)

GeekBoy.from.Illinois

"If your Mac has an Apple Fusion Drive (an SSD and an HDD "fused" together to make one large volume) then you can not access the Mac volume from within Windows. If you don't have a Fusion Drive on your Mac, (you only have one drive, or if you have more than one drive, they are not fombined into one larger logical drive, then you should be able to access the Mac volume form Windows. When running Windows, you will need to install a driver for the HFS+ partition so you can access it. If you have installed Boot Camp, then that driver should get installed automatically when you install the Windows Support files. The driver provided by Boot Camp provides read-only access to the Mac volume. If you want read-write access to the Mac volume, then you will need a third party utility like MacDrive from Media Four, or HFS+ for Windows from Paragon........."

It looks like those with Apple Fusion Drives cannot access their Mac OS X partition... I'm guessing because it exists on a different section of the volume?

How to access Mac OS X partition while in Windows 8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.