13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2013 11:29 PM by DirkVa
DirkVa Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I suddenly have been invited to submit my book MS to a very major publisher and -- wouldn't you know -- Pages has stalled for the first time ever. When I call it up, I get this horizontal barber-poll-type loading strip that won't go away. It opens the last document I had open but won't do anything else. What can I do? I'm desperate.

MacBook Pro
  • Yellowbox Level 5 Level 5 (7,385 points)

Hi Dirk,

Quit Pages if it is open. Then Launch Pages while holding down the shift key. That will prevent Pages trying to reopen a document that was not closed (it is already opening your last document; maybe there is another open document that is taking forever to load).

Good practice to save and close documents when you finish a session on your computer.

Regards,

Ian.

• DirkVa Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Many thanks. But doing what you suggest gets exactly the same result. Holding down the shift key does not keep the document from opening, and the program becomes useless. (FORCE QUIT is the only function that works.)

• fruhulda Level 6 Level 6 (15,120 points)

Try starting Pages whith the Shift key pressed.

If it doesn't help please tell us which MacOs system you have and Pages version.

Hi Dirk,

This is on OS X 10.8.4 (Mountain Lion)

System Preferences > General >

Screen Shot 2013-08-23 at 2.22.15 PM.png

Also when restarting or shutting down your computer (Apple Menu), uncheck Reopen windows when logging back in:

Screen Shot 2013-08-23 at 2.25.23 PM.png

That keeps your house tidy

Regards,

Ian.

OS 10.8.2.

PAGES I can't tell you the version, since even that check is not allowed by its present behavior. But I bought it (downloaded) about a year and a half ago.

Thanks, Yellowbox. I do all those things habitually. And I've restarted and done them again. To no avail.

• fruhulda Level 6 Level 6 (15,120 points)

Did you try restarting Pages with the Shift key pressed?

Many, many times.

Hi Dirk,

PAGES I can't tell you the version, since even that check is not allowed by its present behavior

In Finder, go to your Applications folder. Click once on the Pages app then command i (Get Info). That will show the Pages version.

What version of OS X are you running? Apple Menu > About this Mac.

Regards,

Ian.

Pages 4.3

OS 10.8.2

I think the problem is solved. I was opening the program via Spotlight.

By opening it just from the Applications folder, the misfunction doesn't happen. Go figure.

Thanks, everybody, for your help in what has been a real emergency.

Hi Dirk,

Glad you are up and running again.

Thanks for the tip about Spotlight. I didn't know that. It works for me when I open Pages from Spotlight, so there is still something odd on your system.

Happy Pages!

Regards,

Ian.

Nothing odd in my system all these years until today. So don't be so sure it can't happen to you.