Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme-have wifi connection but no internet on some devices???

I just replaced my linksys router with the latest (tower) Airport Extreme and an Airport Express as an extention of the network. Now I had a heak of a tme setting this up to mimic what the linksys did so I would have a smooth transition. I have a windows server 2008 R2 server which is my file server, DHCP & DNS server. I set my Extreme with the "DHCP & NAT" set the range I use which is 10.0.0.10 - .253, Set the router's address to 10.0.0.10 in network properties as well as setting the default host to point back to my server at 10.0.0.100. I also checked "Enable NAT port mapping protocol". Everthing seems to be working great most of the time...my wired PC's have internet and their proper IP addresses, my iMac and MacBook Pro have internet and proper IP addresses, iPad, iPhones...BUT I am noticing on my iPhone 5 that I'll show a full wifi signal but no IP address there for no internet. Now this happened a couple times and the only way I got it back was to do a rest of the phone. I have never had any wifi issues with this prior to installing the Extreme and Express. So I thought it was just the iPhone but my iPad just behaved the same way and a rest took care of it. Worse at the same time I checked my MacBook and I have the exlimation point over the wifi in the top tool bar. I can see and pick my SSID but couldn't get an IP address until I clicked the Airport Utility then it connected.

So basically I am looking for any suggestions or better yet fixes on my issues. I'm not sure if I have the Airport Extreme configured properly for it to work with the Windows 2008 Server.

I appreciate any help at all!

Thank you greatly in advance,

Dave

😕

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 16GB RAM, 1TB Fusion, 1GHz Video

Posted on Aug 22, 2013 6:56 PM

7 replies

Aug 22, 2013 7:09 PM in response to DaveOJr

I have a windows server 2008 R2 server which is my file server, DHCP & DNS server.

If the 2008 server is working with dhcp and DNS then you do not want the Airport also doing DHCP and NAT.. you need NAT.. I am guessing unless the server is also working as router.

But leave DHCP to the server.. just make sure you set the gateway correctly.

Unfortunately I cannot find a pure NAT option. The options are Off, DHCP and DHCP and NAT.. no straight NAT.

The Extreme used to be more flexible in its setup.. but now is rather restricted.. could you move the DHCP and DNS to the Extreme?

I would also say iphone issues with the Extreme are so common.. just peruse down the page here and several major threads of people with iphone issues.

Try resetting the AE and use all short names.. no spaces and pure alphanumeric.. even a different name for 5ghz and force it to used fixed wireless channels.. 11, 6, 1 for 2.4ghz in that order and a low channel 36-46 and a high channel >100 for 5ghz.

Aug 22, 2013 7:34 PM in response to LaPastenague

The server is not working as a router. I tried the bridge setting but there was no way for me to configure the correct addresses I needed or to have the extreme point to the windows server for DHCP, DNS... I really don't want to have the Extreme be the DHCP. I called Applecare twice and they really had no clue on how to help or even answer any questions I had about the Extreme. I was quite surprised by that because they have always been extremely helpful in the past. I dropped Linksys because I am so discussed with their products the past couple years and their customer service is just plain horrible. After trying to extend my network with their RE2000 range extender and having 2 fail in less than 2 months I decided to Jump with Apple and the Airports. Hopefully I didn't make a mistake!

I appreciate the suggestions

Aug 23, 2013 3:50 AM in response to DaveOJr

Apple unfortunately are taking away so much functionality..

We just do not have NAT without dhcp. There is no dhcp relay.. which is what you are referring to.

You can give out a single address.. and reserve it to a fake MAC address.. Then any DHCP discover packet should simply reach the server.

I do not have the latest AC version Extreme or TC.. and I have to admit things like this make me steer clear..

I would get a router that runs gargoyle firmware.. it is an excellent solid 3rd party and use the AE as a bridged device.

Aug 23, 2013 6:49 PM in response to DaveOJr

I'm getting fed up with fighting to get an internet connection on my wireless devices. Full wifi signal, status is connected and yet no internet connection. I dropped linksys and went with Apple because I have so many Apple products and yet they are not working together. I just don't understand. And when is apple going to put a NAT only mode on the Extreme????

Aug 23, 2013 9:12 PM in response to DaveOJr

And when is apple going to put a NAT only mode on the Extreme????

Apple have a policy of not telling.. you can ask .. but they don't tell.

I am a rather recent arrival on the Mac/Apple seen so I would also wonder how an OSX server is setup with AE..

For wireless in particular, you can use Enterprise level security.. and that might fix it... because instead of using a preset key, as standard in wireless you can use a username and password combo from a radius server.. which might then be used to pass IP via dhcp. Something to consider if you don't mind getting a bit more complex..

Look at this thread which is looking at using ox x server which is basically the same issue you are having.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2756247?start=0&tstart=0

The idea of using a static range of IP addresses.. that might work.. with DHCP actually turned off.. I have used this setup for something completely different.. ie to pass different DNS to clients that need access to Netflix from overseas.. I did not explore it from a your no dhcp setup.. but that is another option to try.. there is so little info supplied it is hard to know and you just have to trial and error with it.

Here is another interesting post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyU4vpMljEI

Clearly other people are hitting the issue.

Aug 23, 2013 9:28 PM in response to LaPastenague

I sat and watched the youvideo through to the end and whilst very simple and of course aimed at OSX.. it isn't really any different to what you are going to be doing in windows server.

It is the mix of how to get the Extreme limited to a single address pointed to the server and then setup the rest of the server that is good.. he is not using static.. he is using the standard setup NAT from a public IP.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tolthoff/videos

Lots of well presented info on mixing an OSX server with an apple router.

Aug 25, 2013 9:31 AM in response to LaPastenague

LaPastenague can't thank you enough for finding the link to the DHCP video! This worked perfectly! Although I can't just put in 1 DHCP address in the Extreme I put the range of .99 - .100 with my server being .100 I also have the default host pointing to my windows server. I just can't thank you enough for this information!!!

I hope in a future release of firmware/software for the Extreme and Express Apple will take note of the hundreds of posts on people suffering from basically from the lack of flexibility with these new WiFi products.

Thanks again,

Dave

Airport Extreme-have wifi connection but no internet on some devices???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.