Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't rebuild the library because iPhoto is freezing before the dialog shows up

Hi all

I've got some problems with iPhoto since I formated and reinstalled Mac OS X 10.8.4. If I try to start iPhoto, it freezes each time with the beach ball animation and I can't do anything besides quit iPhoto. I tried different things to solve the issue:

• Uninstall iPhoto and download it again from the App Store
  • Delete / Move the plist files within the Preferences and the Library itself
  • Repair permissions of the harddisk
  • Remove the iPhoto library and create a new one on startup

If I try CMD + Option while startup, the dialog for repairing / rebuilding the library don't show, instead the iPhoto window shows and the beach ball starts to animate and iPhoto is not longer responding.

Does anyone have an idea, what I could try further?

Thanks in advance,

Markus

iPhoto '11, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 23, 2013 2:27 AM

12 replies

Aug 30, 2013 3:57 AM in response to LarryHN

Hi Larry

Thanks for your reply! Where can I find the so called "iPhoto Library Manager". Is it a software from Apple?

But anyway, as I also have this issue without a library (or trying to create a new one), I think it won't help. It wouldn't make any sense, right?

This have to be a general issue with iPhoto or the system. Meanwhile I tried some more times to uninstall/reinstall and I tried to install the latest combo update, but nothing helped.. 😟

Aug 30, 2013 11:49 AM in response to Tetrikus

That's rather short sighted. Mavericks won't be available any time soon. It's still in beta testing. So you'll be without iPhoto for quite awhile.

It's very easy to resintall Mt. Lion. Boot while holding the Command+R keys held down into the Recovery volume. From there you can reistall Mt. Lion very easy.

You can read about it here: Apple - OS X Recovery restores your Mac with a few clicks.

Sep 1, 2013 11:26 PM in response to Old Toad

Hi Old Toad

Thanks for your answer. Well, I expect Mavericks between the 10th and the 20th of September so it will not be too long to wait. ;-) Anyway I'm not in a hurry, because I use Aperture in General - iPhoto is only for creating Photobooks and stuff like that.

And IF I reinstall Mt. Lion, I would do a CLEAN install - as I already did 3 weeks ago. And after that the problems started.

Sep 2, 2013 2:39 AM in response to Yer_Man

I'm pretty sure you know exactly, what a clean install is.. 🙂

Let's imagine the problems come from an installed service / software / setting. If I install OS again over the same system, all these files will be kept but If I do a clean install and iPhoto works again after it, I have the possibility to see if it is still running after every new software or service I install. Doesn't dis make any sense to you?

Btw., do you really want to assert, that a system works the same and it doesn't matter if it is a clean install or a re-install over the previous version?

Sep 2, 2013 3:00 AM in response to Tetrikus

I responded to your tone where you say IF you reinstall that you will do a CLEAN install. You've done a clean install. It caused the problem. What does that tell you about the efficacy of a clean install? In other words you're as likely to resolve your issue with reinstalling from the recovery partition for a lot less work, than to wipe the HD and reinstall everything from scratch. Your own experience tells you that.

There's a mythology about clean installing - as though somehow it will be a better reinstall that from the recovery partition. It's like all those people who say you should repair permissions every week, clean out caches regularly and all the other hoo haa. There is no evidence anywhere that suggests a clean install is more effective than reinstalling from the recovery partition. None.

So, by all means, take on the extra work for no benefit. But don't snidely assert that it's somehow better... after all...

And IF I reinstall Mt. Lion, I would do a CLEAN install - as I already did 3 weeks ago. And after that the problems started.

Sep 2, 2013 9:59 AM in response to Tetrikus

Try the following:

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your

User/Home/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete iPhoto's cache file, Cache.db, that is located in your

User/Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto folder (Snow Leopard and Earlier).

User uploaded file

or with Lion and Mt. Lion from the User/Library/Containers/com.apple.iPhoto/
Data/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto
folder

User uploaded file

3 - try rebuilding the library's database again.

NOTE 1: If you're moved your library from its default location in your Home/Pictures folder you will have to point iPhoto to its new location when you next open iPhoto by holding down the Option key when launching iPhoto. You'll also have to reset the iPhoto's various preferences.

NOTE 2: In Lion and Mountain Lion the Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and hit the Enter button - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

Can't rebuild the library because iPhoto is freezing before the dialog shows up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.