Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble using a certificate to connect to an OpenVPN server.

Hello everyone

I'm having problems adding a certificate to connect to my newly made OpenVPN server that's hosted on my raspberry pi. I followed a tutorial at http://raspberrypi-hacks.com/29/turn-your-raspberry-into-an-openvpn-vpn-server/ and it seems to work on the server-side. I got a folder containing a certificate in .csr and .crt format. I can import them to Keychain Access without problems, but I cannot find it when I have to choose a cert for the setup of the built-in VPN client. I can choose between a bunch of other not related certificates, but not the one I just added. I have tried adding them to different keychains (login, system etc), editing in the "trusted" preferences and exporting them as a .cer certificate, but without any result.

Google is not much of a help, since most of the post are 3-5 years old and concerning Cisco certs. And I know I can just use another VPN client, but I'd like to use the built-in. I'm running OS X 10.8.4 and the latest version of openvpn and openssl.

Thanks in advance,

Philip

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Aug 23, 2013 8:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2013 10:30 AM

The built-in VPN client doesn't support OpenVPN. You would have to use a third-party client such as "Tunnelblick" or "Viscosity."

2 replies

Trouble using a certificate to connect to an OpenVPN server.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.