Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Podcast Feed Generator Application?

Hello-

With PodCast Maker clearly abandoned, does anyone have a recommendation of a utility that lets users create podcasts, update episodes, and generates the feed (uploads too? wow!). Too bad the developer of Podcast Maker doesn't support it anymore. It was a good application.

Thanks!

Posted on Aug 23, 2013 11:41 AM

7 replies

Aug 23, 2013 1:44 PM in response to mr.bill

It's a pity about Podcast Maker: I used it a few years back when I was running my podcast and it did an excellent job. Evidently it hasn't been updated for ages, and I gather it doesn't work with Mountain Lion.

It's not easy to find a replacement. RapidWeaver can create a podcast, though it's not ideal. iWeb can, but that itself has been discontinued and though it works at the moment we don't know how long it will go on.

Many people use WordPress, and it can create perfectly good feeds; however it's apparently quite difficult to use, and certainly it causes more problems that get asked about here than any other single method: always down to people having difficulty using it.

Many people use online services, which can be easy and effective but also leave you with less control over the feed - sometimes none at all. Blogger can work reasonably well (though I hate its feeds because they are all on one line which makes reading them when there's a problem nearly impossible), Podbean seems to work reasonably well, and Libsyn is tightly geared to podcasting and produces relatively few problems reported here.

You can handwrite the feed, which gives you the ultimate level of control, but it's very unforgiving: one tiny mistake can render it unreadable so you have to be closely aware of what you are doing, and it's not something I would recommend for everyone. My 'get you started' page includes a sample basic feed you can use as a template if you want to try your hand:

http://rfwilmut.net/pc

Aug 23, 2013 1:47 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Hey Roger- Great to read from you. Didn't know you were over here. I remember you from the RW forums ages ago. Hope you're well.

Everything you wrote, as much of a bummer as it is, I'm beginning to realize. I think I'm going to go one of two routes:

- RapidWeaver - Pretty basic, but it seems to be able to do the job. Just barely.

- I'm installing PodCastGen (sourceforge) on my web server to see how that does.

Any experience with PodCastGen?

Thanks Roger. Good to read from you.

Aug 23, 2013 1:56 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thanks Roger... I'll report back how it goes. I'm working with both RW and PodCastGen simultaneously to see which is best and why. I'll report back.

As for the RW forum. The mood has changed a little. Lots of whining and bickering. But there are still good people still there and Karn seems to be poking around again which is great. I found the new layout hard until I learned to just click the star and it subscribes. Would be nice if the star simply said subscribe.

Have a nice wknd.

Aug 31, 2013 6:53 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Hello- Trying to be a good forum citizen and report back my findings.

I have to say, that if you're able to manager installing PHP application on your web server (very easy). PodCastGen is fantasitc. It really works very very well. But, if you don't want to get your hands dirty and you're doing real podcasting, I'd probably go with a click and go solution such as libsyn.

Here's the feed: Podcast about business simulations

Thanks for the help.

Podcast Feed Generator Application?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.