Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine will not open

Hi everyone.

Ive seen this topic on the forum but I have not found any solution to mye problem after browsing for some time, and this problem is getting quite annoying.

My time machine backup seems to be running smoothly to my external HD via USB. My problem is: When i select "Open Time Machine" to browse the snap shots - nothing happens. Its been like this for quite some time now.

Im using an iMac with osx 10.7.5.

Any suggestions?

iMac-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Time Machine

Posted on Aug 23, 2013 1:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2013 3:35 PM

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then try the action that you're having trouble with again. Select any messages that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard (command-C). Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2013 3:35 PM in response to øyvindfrombergen

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then try the action that you're having trouble with again. Select any messages that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard (command-C). Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Aug 23, 2013 10:49 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc Davis.

Thanks for helping!

I tried this, but the log is empty after I tried to open Time Machine.

I did get some information after I clicked on "Backup Now".

24.08.13 07:46:41,633 com.apple.backupd: Starting standard backup

24.08.13 07:46:41,640 com.apple.backupd: Backing up to: /Volumes/BACKUP/Backups.backupdb

24.08.13 07:46:42,640 com.apple.backupd: 1.19 GB required (including padding), 519.15 GB available

24.08.13 07:46:48,586 com.apple.backupd: Copied 1086 files (4.6 MB) from volume Macintosh HD.

24.08.13 07:46:48,656 com.apple.backupd: 1.18 GB required (including padding), 519.14 GB available

24.08.13 07:46:49,998 com.apple.backupd: Copied 119 files (93 bytes) from volume Macintosh HD.

24.08.13 07:46:50,199 mds: (Error) Volume: Could not find requested backup type:2 for volume

24.08.13 07:46:50,201 com.apple.backupd: Starting post-backup thinning

24.08.13 07:46:50,202 com.apple.backupd: No post-back up thinning needed: no expired backups exist

24.08.13 07:46:50,377 com.apple.backupd: Backup completed successfully.

I dont know if this is useful...?

Øyvind

Aug 23, 2013 11:35 PM in response to øyvindfrombergen

Please try each of the steps below that you haven't already taken.

Step 1

From the menu bar, select

 ▹ System Preferences ▹ Time Machine

and make sure TM is ON.

Step 2

If you're entering Time Machine from the Finder, make sure no Finder windows are open in other Desktop spaces in Mission Control. You must enter from a window open in the current space.

Step 3

If you're backing up to an external hard drive attached to your Mac, open the backup volume in the Finder. You should see a folder with the name "Backups.backupdb". If you instead see a file with a name ending in "sparsebundle," the backup was created over a network. You have to mount the backup volume manually when you want to restore from it by double-clicking the sparsebundle file.

Step 4

Select the "Backups.backupdb" folder and open the Info dialog. Either "staff" or "everyone" should have Read onlyaccess. If not, click the lock icon to unlock the access settings and make the necessary change. If you're not sure how to do that, consult the built-in help or ask.

Step 5

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard (command-C):

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V) and press return.

A folder will open with a file selected. Move the selected file to the Desktop, leaving the folder open for now.

Relaunch the Finder by selecting  Force Quit from the menu bar, then selecting Finder and pressing return. Your Finder settings will be lost.

Try again to enter Time Machine. If you still can't, put back the file you moved to the Desktop, replacing the newer one that will have been created in its place.

Otherwise, close the folder you opened and delete the file you moved to the Desktop. Recreate your Finder preferences.

Step 6

Do as in Step 5, but with this line:

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine.plist

This time you may be prompted for your administrator password. Reboot, recreate your settings in the Time Machine preference pane, and run a backup to test.

Step 7

Launch Disk Utility and select the icon of the backup drive in the pane on the left (not any of the volume icons below it.) At the bottom of the window, you should see this:

Partition Map Scheme : GUID Partition Table

If the partition scheme is anything else, the drive has to be repartitioned (with the loss of all data.)

Step 8

Skip this step if you're backing up to a network device, such as a Time Capsule.

Boot in safe mode. Try again to enter Time Machine.

Note: If FileVault is enabled on some models, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t boot in safe mode.

Step 9

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Try again to enter Time Machine. Select any messages that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard (command-C). Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

time machine will not open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.