Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iphone 5 has a black screen.

My iphone 5 has a black screen. I haven't wet it. It was simply in my bag and when I took it out the screen was black. It doesn't make any noises but when I call it from someone elses phone it doesn't go straight to voicemail as if it's dead. It won't even connect to the computer and my lock button is kinda broken. I can't reboot it. Help please??

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Aug 23, 2013 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2013 3:27 PM

I assume you tried charging the phone with the AC adaptor for at least 30 minutes, with no response. Right?

If you did, you need to reset the phone (no data loss): Press both home and power buttons for up to 1 minute, releasing when the Apple logo appears.

However if your power button is "kinda broken", you won't be able to reset, and you only option is replacement or repair.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2013 3:27 PM in response to Janelle2101

I assume you tried charging the phone with the AC adaptor for at least 30 minutes, with no response. Right?

If you did, you need to reset the phone (no data loss): Press both home and power buttons for up to 1 minute, releasing when the Apple logo appears.

However if your power button is "kinda broken", you won't be able to reset, and you only option is replacement or repair.

Nov 26, 2013 2:57 PM in response to dsc0103

dsc0103 --

I am in the same exact boat. I hadn't even had the phone for 18 hours when my screen went black. Holding down the on/off & home button (reset/restore) didn't do anything for me, as I still can't see anything.

I called support while looking around on the forum, and it looks like I have to waste another 1.5 hours in the car going to the nearest apple store, wasting the gas and hoping my 16 month old son cooperates seeing as how we leave for out of town tomorrow, and where we are going isn't even close to cool enough for an Apple Store nearby.

SUCH A WASTE OF TIME.

-- Unhappy iPhone 5 owner

Jan 31, 2015 8:11 AM in response to Janelle2101

Hey guys. Even i have the same problem. my iphone 5 did the same thing 2 weeks ago, and some how it turned on after 4 frustating days. and yesterday i updated the os, and facing the same problem again. the thing is my phone works well inspite of having the display black. it turns on by its will. i tried all the solutions available on the net but of no use. i even had a chat with the tech support but no help solved the problem. Need support before monday, else i have to travel 200 Kmts for the service center. i have to spend a lot of bucks for that. So any help is welcome.

Sep 5, 2015 12:22 AM in response to modular747

Brilliant! Thank you! I pressed the two buttons and whooppeee doo it worked ... the battery sign came up ! Oddly it is showing a flat battery even tho it has been plugged in to charge all night? Maybe it can only charge when it is 'active'

The phone is 12mths and 2wks old (just out of warranty!) and had simply been in my pocket working fine all day - then I went to make a call and I got a blank screen? I spent an hour on phone to EE support but they werent able to help - told me it was a few weeks out of warranty, tried to sell me another plan to get a new phone (which means I would pay for 2 monthly packages???!!!) and then suggested I take it in to an EE shop to get it repaired.

IT IS NOW WORKING FINE! THANK YOU KIND PERSON - YOU'VE SAVED ME A LOT OF TIME AND MONEY!!!

AND ALSO MANY THANKS TO GOOGLE WHO BROUGHT ME TO POST AT TOP OF SEARCH RESULTS WHEN I INPUT THE FOLLOWING:

"why does iphone 5s suddenly stop working blank screen"

modular747 wrote:

Nov 7, 2015 12:12 PM in response to SEBarker

After being on with Apple support late last night, nothing worked, but I didn't hold the home and on/off button together longer than 30 seconds. after seeing this I tried again, first time after one minute it was still not working. I have had problems with my on/off button though so I pressed down harder on it using a pen cap and after 10 seconds or so the apple logo came on. Thank you for saving me a trip to the Apple store tonight1

My iphone 5 has a black screen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.