Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just how limited is the Captive Network Assistant?

Wondering how limited the Captive Network Assistant is.

We have a captive portal guest network that instructs guest to login by submitting an e-mail address. The captive portal page also allows sponsored users to login using a sponsored username & password. It also instructs University members to launch CloudPath's XpressConnect application to configure their computer to join the non-restricted campus network.

I'm running into an issue where Mac OS X 10.8.x computers aren't able to launch the XpressConnect Java applet, nor are they able to download the network profile in order to configure their computer, from the Captive Network Assistant. Launching Safari (or any other full fledge web browser) allows them to do both.

Curious if anyone can tell me if this limited functionality is by design, or if there's some other issue here.

Thanks,

--Raf

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Aug 23, 2013 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 12:36 PM

I find it limiting that CNA doesn't allow for automatic profile (file) downloads that are triggered upon login in the CNA. I'm assuming even if a link to profile was offered on CNA after login, the user likely can't download it with a click or right-click save as. 😟

Why is Apple so secretive of this? Windows does it better in just launching the default browser for you to login when it detects a captive portal, Apple should have done the same.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2015 12:36 PM in response to pashcan

I find it limiting that CNA doesn't allow for automatic profile (file) downloads that are triggered upon login in the CNA. I'm assuming even if a link to profile was offered on CNA after login, the user likely can't download it with a click or right-click save as. 😟

Why is Apple so secretive of this? Windows does it better in just launching the default browser for you to login when it detects a captive portal, Apple should have done the same.

Aug 23, 2013 2:25 PM in response to raf_hinojosa

To my knowledge the Captive Network Assistant can only detect a captive network and load the respective login page. I don't think it can even save username and password information for a captive network like a browser can.

Quite frankly I disabled the assistant entirely because I found it useless. You can change its name to disable it.

It is located in /System/Library/CoreServices

Mar 25, 2014 8:31 AM in response to raf_hinojosa

I have also battled CNA before and there is at least one extremely debilitating thing that I've noticed - it won't allow any cookies to be saved.

I would also love to see a full list of explicit features disabled in CNA, since it is my understanding that CNA is basically a stripped down version of a full-featured Safari browser on each respective platform (iOS/OS X). Alas Apple doesn't publish this information even in some of the technical training docs that I have seen.

If you've discovered more limitations I would love to hear them!

Cheers

Jul 7, 2015 1:01 PM in response to raf_hinojosa

Anyone have issues trying to use the browser workaround over CNA? Whether yes/no, do you typically fire up the browser and try visiting some website that should then trigger the captive portal redirect OR specifically visit the captive portal URL in the browser that's fired up? Although the captive portal URL isn't always an easy to remember one being IP Address based sometimes.

I noticed I kind of had issues with the browser workaround unless perhaps CNA disabled as per http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/45418/how-to-automatically-login-to-cap tive-portals-on-os-x. At times, it wouldn't load the captive portal in browser if CNA was running, unless perhaps you knew the specific captive portal URL.

Jul 9, 2015 1:58 PM in response to pashcan

FYI, I did come across what one might consider a limitation with CNA a while back, trying to debug other limitations of it:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/194173/running-a-proxy-server-like-char les-interferes-with-mac-wireless-web-bas…

with a (local) web proxy running, the CNA doesn't appear to pop up when you connect to a captive portal based wifi. Workaround was to use a local packet sniffer like Wireshark instead of proxy so that the CNA would launch.

Jun 1, 2016 12:40 PM in response to daluu

Yep, I found that same answer on another site shortly after I posted yesterday.

I've disabled SIP before, but at this time I'm not annoyed enough by the portal to repeat those steps.

The portal seems to work well most of the time, only occasionally does it not appear when it should, and I'm not sure how disabling it would be more effective.

It's not that big a deal for me to press a button to login from time to time when I'm in a hotel - normally I only need to do it once a day or less.

Jul 19, 2016 11:32 PM in response to OregonRebel

Disregard my last post.

The Captive Network Assistant often fails to appear when I need it to.

Disconnecting from the wireless signal and turning off/on my Mac's wifi usually doesn't work.

If I open Safari a few tabs load from cache, but most fail to load. I have to go to a new address - one that isn't in history. Then the portal page will load in the browser instead of popping up a separate window. So I bookmarked the http://n111.network-auth.com/ page that works here.

But after connecting, a lot of the tabs that failed to load originally forget their addresses so I end up with a bunch of tabs that load my homepage (Google).

Then it's an aggravating process to close the windows and use the Sessions extension to restore a previous browsing session so I eventually end up with the same windows and 70+ tabs as I had before the connection was lost.

This has happened MANY times during the past month I've been staying in this hotel.

Now I just open Chrome instead, where I only have half a dozen pinned tabs. Then I can open a new tab and click the bookmark and voilà - authorization page appears.

And you can't simply drag Captive Network Assistant into the Dock to keep it handy because opening it does NOTHING.

The hotel changed their ISP tonight and unlocked their signal. Now they have a portal with no IP address and time will tell if it works any better.

User uploaded file

Aug 12, 2016 10:51 PM in response to OregonRebel

The unlocked portal only lasted a day while the hotel transitioned to their new ISP.

And now Apple's captive portal gizmo is a PITA again.

I NEED to connect to the Internet before opening a browser!

Otherwise most of the tabs open on the portal login page and the original pages are lost and can't be restored by refreshing or going back.

Sometimes after rebooting I can turn off Wi-Fi, then turn it back on and select the hotels signal and the portal window opens like it should. But other times it doesn't no matter what I do.

Earlier today I was unable to get the portal window to appear even after repeatedly disconnecting from the signal and turning on/off Wi-Fi, and rebooting several times.

I was forced to open a browser to gain access to the portal, so I opened the one with the fewest tabs and sure enough - every tab went to the portal login page.

The capture agent should have a front-end in the Utilities folder or System/Library/CoreServices, that can be used to login and then closed.

Sep 21, 2016 7:53 AM in response to OregonRebel

I found a workaround for my issue with the portal not appearing.

I installed Fluid and created a site-specific browser for the portal. Then I set it to stay in the menu bar.

Now all I have to do is click the icon, then click the login button in the window and voilà - I'm back online.

It uses no CPU while idle, and less than 40 MB memory, so I leave it running.

Just how limited is the Captive Network Assistant?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.