Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Retina fans NOT spinning up

I have Googled this problem and keep coming up with results of the exact opposite problem. Most people say they have overactive fans. However, on my 15 inch MBP retina, the fans refuse to spin up. I don't know if they not spinning at all or just barely. I hear no sound coming from the computer and I don't feel any air coming out of the vents. My MacBook is fully updated running OS 10.8.4.

Simply browsing the internet in Google Chrome will cause the MBP to reach temperatures where the top of the keyboard/base of the screen area is too hot to touch. It has also shutdown on me before, which I assume was a result of overheating. It seems that no matter how hot it gets, the fans spin up, at least to an audible level. Also, leaving Activity Monitor running in the background shows that the processor rarely exceeds 5-10% capacity, so it shouldn't be generating that much heat. I do live in a hot and very dusty environment, but indoors (I never use my computer outside) it is about the same as anywhere else.

I recently installed iStat Pro to check up on the problem. It is reading my temperature as always between 130-140 (about 52-60 celsius) degrees. Despite these high temperatures, the fans continue to do nothing useful. They stay at approximately 2150 rpm right and 2000 rpm left.

Is there some way I can fix this issue? I would prefer not to use some third party software like smc Fan Controller, but if it is for the health of my MacBook I will do it.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 23, 2013 3:48 PM

4 replies

Aug 24, 2013 4:39 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

As I said, this is under minimal load. That is, only with Google Chrome and perhaps Mail running. Running more applications increases the temperature. In the past my MacBook overheated to the point of shutting off without the fans ever coming on.

Out of curiosity, what temperatures would be considered high enough to spin up the fans?

MacBook Pro Retina fans NOT spinning up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.