Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fios modem/router with AirPort Extreme and express

Just had Verizon Fios installed today (switched from optimum). Realized the new modem they gave me is also a router so I don't need my extreme to be my router anymore. But it is relatively new and I would like to use it to expand my network's range if possible. And I also use an express to extend my wireless reach as well. What is the best way to configure them?

My IMac was hard wired to the extreme. Should I now use the Verizon router and could I move the extreme to pick up the signal wirelessly?

I was reading lots of similar posts but they are quite confusing....Someone straighten me out!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Aug 23, 2013 4:21 PM

3 replies

Aug 23, 2013 4:58 PM in response to DrCynthia

If you want to use the Verizon router for your iMac by direct ethernet .. that is fine.. only it probably isn't gigabit.. so if you want fast connection you are better plugging into the Extreme. this will make no difference for internet .. only local LAN connections.

You cannot extend the Verizon wireless using the apple routers.. but you can use both together.

Simply set the Extreme to bridge mode.. that is router bridge.

User uploaded file

Now setup the wireless to have the same wireless name as the Verizon.. which is called SSID..

Say the Verizon SSID is FIOS1 (I have no idea what it actually is).

In the Extreme set Wireless name FIOS1

Make sure the wireless mode is set to create a wireless network.

Make sure the security is the same.. ie WPA2 AES in Fios = WPA2 Personal in the Extreme.

Make sure the security password is the same.

Update the TC and plug it by ethernet into the FIOS.

You can still use the Express to extend wireless from the extreme.

Aug 24, 2013 3:55 PM in response to DrCynthia

The question will it be faster... no .. not to the internet.. that is able to be fully saturated by G wireless still or 100mbit ethernet. At least for the majority of people.

Will the local lan be faster.. yes.. The AE has better wireless and gigabit ethernet.

Will that be useful and significant.. maybe.. maybe not.. if you only use internet then it will do nothing.. if you transfer lots of files locally or use TM to a network target.. it will make an improvement.. maybe a very big improvement.

The best thing for you to do is to experiment.. !!

The standard answers and your particular needs in your particular situation, only you can decide.

You are asking how does that taste??

Instead of tasting it and saying hmmm it is not like chicken at all!!

Is it better or worse than chicken.. only you know for yourself.

Fios modem/router with AirPort Extreme and express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.