Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo Stream import directly into Library (consolidated)?

I have just started using Photo Stream with Aperture and it's a wonderful feature, however something prompted me to look for the original photo and I couldn't see the usual "Open in Finder" option, which said to me it was Consolodated. Now, I don't mind, because I Consolidate my Library anyway, but was wondering if this actually happened.

It seems that the guide here is a little out of date now as Adjustments can be performed on the streamed photos without "importing" them, however that's achieved?

ref: http://www.tuaw.com/2011/11/06/deep-dive-aperture-and-photo-stream-how-do-they-w ork/

I was able to export the photo, as one normally would with a Consolidated Library, but I am wondering if that was from an online supposerty or not?

Anyway, if the Photos are Consolidated then that is yet another step taken care of and I am certainly greatful for that, not least because all iOS devices capture GPS info too, things just get better!

If someone can clear this up for me that would be great, thanks.

Posted on Aug 23, 2013 5:12 PM

9 replies

Aug 23, 2013 7:55 PM in response to Hamper

The term is "managed" rather than "consolidated" for a library. If you have files that are referenced, but want them to be managed, you "consolidate" them.

Anyway now that I've cleared that up... if you set Aperture to auto-import from your photo stream, then it will create a project every month that it will import everything in your photo stream into. And that's about it; I've used it since Photo Stream was introduced and it works fine. You can edit the photo in Aperture and export it to any location you wish.

I generall recommend people use a managed library if they have the space as it makes things a lot simpler to understand, and to back up (by way of Aperture vaults). And I'll include my usual pitch to BACK UP FREQUENTLY, as there are too many posts here from people who, in this day and age, still don't take this advice. Back up with Time Machine *and* with Vaults :-)

Aug 26, 2013 5:59 PM in response to William Lloyd

Ah yes, that's right, "Managed", thank you for reminding me.

I practice backups, I wish Aperture were a little easier (and quicker) to do so, but none the less there is a new version due, so here's hoping.

I am still left unsure however as to whether the files are indeed Managed with Photo Stream enabled or not, it seems like they are but I need clarification on this.

Aug 27, 2013 11:52 AM in response to Hamper

Images in the Photostream are just that in the Photostream. They are not in the Aperture library unless you import them into Aperture.

Also where did you read or see that it is possible to edit images that are in the stream and not imported into Aperture? As far as I know (and can tell by trying it on my library here) it is not possible to edit those images.

Aug 30, 2013 10:43 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank Caggiano I think you're confused. The images are in the Stream, they are always there, but they appear (as in William Lloyd's photo example) in Aperture, yes I do have them set to be imported, but they very well couldn't be seen within Aperture unless I did so.

If I click one of the folders I see the images and they are editable, this I believe leaves the photo in the Cloud separate and so it must be because the photo is already (i.e. automatically) imported into the Library in a Managed fashion.

However I did not specify this and it seems to be Apple's choice. There is no such thing as a Managed Library, not all images are managed, they can be made that way, but still have to be manually Consolodated, it's still a conscious choice.

So, I guess then the images are imported in a Managed fashion. I'm just concerned that they are there and I have an original copy of them.

Aug 30, 2013 11:41 PM in response to Hamper

The confusion is due to your use of Photo Stream image 😉: When you (auto)-import from the Photo Stream you have two different image versions - the Photo Stream copy of the image and the imported image, that is no longer in the stream. And as Frank Caggiano says, you can only edit the imported image version in your Aperture library, not the Photo Stream image. Trying to edit a Photo Stream image will result in this message - at least, that is what I see in my library:

"This photo is in Photo Stream and cannot be edited. You may edit the last imported version in your library."

User uploaded file

A photo Stream image is not part of the Aperture library - it can only be browsed using Aperture.

To convince yourself, that the imported image is truely managed and not referenced, select the monthly imported project and set a filter in the search field with the rule: "File status is managed".

All images in the project should still be showing and not be removed by the filter.

Frank Caggiano I think you're confused. The images are in the Stream, they are always there, but they appear (as in William Lloyd's photo example) in Aperture, yes I do have them set to be imported, but they very well couldn't be seen within Aperture unless I did so.

It is still not clear from your post, where you are trying to view the Photo images:

• In the "Web > Photo Stream" section of the library inspector, where the Photo Stream can be viewed,
  • Or in the "Projects" section, where you can browse the images that have been imported to Aperture.

Are you saying, that the "Web > Photo Stream" section of the Library Inspector did not show your Photo Stream images, until you enabled automatic import?

Regards

Léonie

Aug 31, 2013 7:14 AM in response to Hamper

I believe it is more that your posting is confusing. It's still not clear from all your posts just what it is you are asking.

You wrote:

It seems that the guide here is a little out of date now as Adjustments can be performed on the streamed photos without "importing" them, however that's achieved?

This is flat out wrong, you cannot do anyting to images in the Photo Stream they have to be imported.

I am still left unsure however as to whether the files are indeed Managed with Photo Stream enabled or not, it seems like they are but I need clarification on this.

Having Photostream enabled has no bearing on where images in your library are stored. As has been written above by others when you import an image from the Photostream it is automatically imported as a managed original, there is no way to change this default behavior.

If you want the images to be referenced you will need to use the Aperture command Relocate Originals after the image is imported.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

Photo Stream import directly into Library (consolidated)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.