Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I select all but a few artists to sync with my iPhone?

iTunes 11.0.5.5

iPhone 5

iOS 6.1.4

I have a large library of music in iTunes and I want to sync 98% of it to my iPhone, but not everything. If I have music from 100 different artists, how do I tell iTunes that it should sync 98 of them, but not the 2 I don't want?

When I connect my iPhone and select the Music tab, I see the option to either sync my "Entire music library" or "Selected playlists, artists, albums, and genres". From here, I want to tell iTunes to "Select All" artists and then simply uncheck the couple I don't want. I've looked in the menus and I see Select All under Edit, but it's disabled. I've tried selecting one artist to give that area focus and then pressing ctrl+A. I've also tried shift-clicking artists to see if that would let me select a bunch at once. None of these things have worked.

Am I missing something? Or do I really have to tediously click on the hundreds of artists I want to sync just to avoid the few I don't want?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Aug 23, 2013 5:57 PM

15 replies

May 5, 2014 10:00 AM in response to diesel vdub

Sorry if I bothered you posting Mac solutions in Windows spaces, I only wanted to help and didn't catch this in the help path (I came directly from a Web Search).

If after a year, you accept a contribution for the Windows version, that is:

• if you hold the <Ctlr> button and click on a checkbox in Authors list, all elements will be selected.
  • If you click again, all will be deselected.

See you later!

May 5, 2014 5:26 PM in response to fjpgulias

There is an errata due to my initial confusion in my first comment. For Mac is almost the same as Windows, <command>==<Ctrl>.

The overall response should be:

If you are using iTunes for Windows:

• if you hold the <Ctlr> button and click on a checkbox in Authors list, all elements will be selected.

Else, if you're using iTunes for Mac:

• if you hold the <Command> button and click on a checkbox in Authors list, all elements will be selected.

May 7, 2014 9:37 AM in response to Ghazgkull

Ghazgkull wrote:

iTunes 11.0.5.5

iPhone 5

iOS 6.1.4

I have a large library of music in iTunes and I want to sync 98% of it to my iPhone, but not everything. If I have music from 100 different artists, how do I tell iTunes that it should sync 98 of them, but not the 2 I don't want?

The simplest way is to create a playlist of what you want to sync and sync only that playlist.

May 7, 2014 9:39 AM in response to Ghazgkull

Ghazgkull wrote:

Thanks, this works perfectly.

(Someone needs to show the Apple devs how shift+click and ctrl+click work on every other application. This behavior in iTunes is backwards and therefore unexpected.)

Except it is not backwards.

Select and item then Shift click another item. Everythng between and incuding the two items is selected. This is standard behavior (in Windows & Mac OS).

May 9, 2014 9:14 PM in response to turingtest2

This forum needs a button to mark the opposite of "This helped me" for posts that contain misinformation.

For the sake of anyone who stumbles on this in the future, let's be super clear: In iTunes 11.1.5.5 on Windows 7, shift+clicking items adds those individual items to your selection. This behavior is normally achieved on Windows 7 using ctrl+click. ctrl+clicking in iTunes selects all. This is just plain nutty and is normally achieved on Windows 7 using ctrl+a, but at least it achieves what I was looking for.

May 9, 2014 10:30 PM in response to Ghazgkull

Ghazgkull wrote:

. ctrl+clicking in iTunes selects all.

No, it does not. You are still incorrect.

ctrl + click does NOT select anything.

It checks all boxes when you ctrl click on one box.

If you want to select a bunch of consecutive songs...

Select one then Shift click another, This will select all items from the first selection to the last selection.

This is just plain nutty and is normally achieved on Windows 7 using ctrl+a,

No it doesn't

ctrl + a selects all.

You are not selecting anything when you check all boxes. You are sinmply checking all boxes.

How do I select all but a few artists to sync with my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.