Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I accidentally deleted the Software Update from System Preferences off of my MacBook. Help!

I accidentally deleted the Software Update from System Preferences off of my MacBook (late 2009 model). I have tried to look for the files caches in my library and in finder. No luck. It seems to be slowing down my computer a significant amount, as well (since there are no updates).

However, under the apple button in the top left corner, the System Update is still there, so I know that it is still somewhere on the computer. Yet, it always says no udates available, and I know that there should be some.

Is there anyway to get the Software Updates back into System Preferences? If so, after that is done, what are some ways to overall clean up my computer (other than resetting safari and deleting trash, etc.).

If not, would completely wiping the compter and purchasing/installing Mountian Lion or Snow Leopard fix the problem? Or maybe a factory reset?

Help please!

MacBook (13-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 23, 2013 5:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2013 6:46 PM

You need to restore OS X. No need to reformat the drive.

Help for restoring v10.6 here > Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard: How to Erase and Install

If at some point you want to upgrade to Mountain Lion, make sure your Mac meets the requirements > System requirements for OS X Mountain Lion

Instructions for upgrading directly from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion > Apple - Upgrade your Mac to OS X Mountain Lion

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2013 6:46 PM in response to kate134

You need to restore OS X. No need to reformat the drive.

Help for restoring v10.6 here > Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard: How to Erase and Install

If at some point you want to upgrade to Mountain Lion, make sure your Mac meets the requirements > System requirements for OS X Mountain Lion

Instructions for upgrading directly from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion > Apple - Upgrade your Mac to OS X Mountain Lion

I accidentally deleted the Software Update from System Preferences off of my MacBook. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.