Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BOOM godsend or horror?

I'm about in tears. I've been trying since one o'clock to eject Boom from my iMac and all I've succeeded in doing is lose my audio intirely. I connected to the "Free" app a week ago, it was great. Today they told me my trial time was up so I gladly paid for the extention and there the "fun" began. First of all my Mac wouldn't accept their download "couldn't download the app". Then, after trashing that copy and going for another one, having paid for the installation, it gave me a link to the "free app" again and would not give me the paid app. Thinking I had conflicting files, I removed all the visible remenants of Boom and tried to remove it from my Dock but kept getting the notice it could not be trashed as it was in use. I then went to my Sound Preferences and found that it had taken over the sound application and my builtins were inactivated and I could NOT remove Boom from the Sound Preference.

I should know better than to buy before checking things out, but it was headlined on iTunes as a super app. In my searches this pm, I ran across a very lengthy thread starting in march 2011 with this same problem and several people having the same problems. I did everything they advised (and some worked for some of them) but nothing worked for me.

Then I read in this community of someone having trouble with their Audio and BD told them to check the Audio Midi Setup and I thought I'd check there. Sure enough, there was BOOM. I simply could not get rid of it and since I'd trashed all it's core workings there is now no sound anywhere.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. 😢

......goldie

I have much more to say but this is quite enough for now, I'm drownding in my tears. sniff, sniff. But, Please! I want my sound back.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2T 3.33GHz Intel2 4G-Ram

Posted on Aug 23, 2013 6:47 PM

16 replies

Aug 23, 2013 7:10 PM in response to anth2013

Totally untrue, it does NOT damage your speakers. Ive installed it on countless Macs, using it now,

BOOM app works perfect.

To the OP, go into your applications folder and drag the app to the trash and delete. Yours is the first instance out of countless ones Ive heard of anyone having an issue with that APP. There is a related sound driver for that APP as well, remove it.

Either that or roll your macbook back with time machine, assuming you have one.

it places a kernel extension & audio plugins, so easiest/quickest is to replace the app then use Boom-Preferences-Uninstall

Aug 23, 2013 7:32 PM in response to Goldenbill

Any third-party software that doesn't install by drag-and-drop into the Applications folder, and uninstall by drag-and-drop to the Trash, is a system modification.

Whenever you remove system modifications, they must be removed completely, and the only way to do that is to use the uninstallation tool, if any, provided by the developers, or to follow their instructions. If the software has been incompletely removed, you may have to re-download or even reinstall it in order to finish the job.

Here are some general guidelines. Suppose you want to remove something called “BrickYourMac.” First, consult the product's Help menu, if there is one, for instructions. Finding none there, look on the developer's website, say www.brickyourmac.com. (That may not be the actual name of the site; if necessary, search the Web for the product name.) If you don’t find anything on the website or in your search, contact the developer. While you're waiting for a response, download BrickYourMac.dmg and open it. There may be an application in there such as “Uninstall BrickYourMac.” If not, open “BrickYourMac.pkg” and look for an Uninstall button.

You may have to log out or reboot in order to complete an uninstallation.

If you can’t remove software in any other way, you’ll have to erase your boot volume and perform a clean reinstallation of OS X. Never install any third-party software unless you're sure you know how to uninstall it; otherwise you may create problems that are very hard to solve.

Trying to remove complex system modifications by hunting for files by name often will not work and may make the problem worse. The same goes for "utilities" that purport to remove software.

Aug 23, 2013 7:45 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

PlotinusV.... It looks like you may have the answer for me but I'll need a little more guidance. I do have a backup but am unsure how to go about exchanging the app, (which app?) from the Backup file to replace the present messed up file.

I did try to move the app from Applications to the trash but I kept getting a message that it could not be moved to the trash as it was being used even though I was not using any audio. I found out that it had embedded itself in my Sound Preferences AND my Audio Setup App and there was no way to remove it. It had inactivated my built in audio system.

Never could get to "Boom Preferences" Nor could I find an "uninstall"

As for other people having this problem, check this out.

http://www.globaldelight.com/blog/2011/04/boom-volume-booster-a-tip/

How do I find the "related sound driver" to remove it?

Aug 24, 2013 5:00 AM in response to Goldenbill

Is it possible for a moderator to move this whole thread to the iMac Intel Discussion Group. I just now noticed it's in the MacBook Pro Group, I haven't a clue as to how I got in here except for the fact that when I made my first post I was in a state of hysteria. Feel better now though. 😊

Thanks in advance if it can be moved.

....goldie

Jan 10, 2014 2:14 AM in response to Goldenbill

In Mac App Store description of Boom, they have mentioned to uninstall trial copy of Boom within the app via Settings->Preferences->Uninstall and then purchase a fresh copy of Boom via Mac App Store.

As you can see that when downloading the trial copy, it installs the whole DMG including the audio component. But while installing via Mac App Store, you need to install the app first then download the component within the app.

When installing MAS version of Boom while trial is already active, your system will recognise that two copies of Boom is installed, unless you go to Application folder and launch Boom, your system might throw up the trial copy while searched via Spotlight. This might casue in conflicts.

It is suggested to uninstall any app within the app is option provided instead of using any third party apps to do so.

If you still find any issue with Boom, then please ask. I am happy to help.

Boom works great! www.globaldelight.com/boom

BOOM godsend or horror?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.