Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Intermittent black screen or loss of video TS4088 Options with no warranty

I have a MacBook Pro Mid 2010 15-inch 10.7.5 which suffers from the Problem described in http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088?viewlocale=en_US

So my MacBook will freeze and have kernel panics like every few minutes or sometimes it will run for a day without another freeze and the need for a hard reboot.

I also went to the Apple Store and it failed the graphic card test, saying to "Replace the MLB". As i am 4 month over the extended 3 year warranty for that specific problem I will not get a free replacement of the MLB.

So now I am considering my options:

- hope for a policy change, somewhere I read that Apple may extend that 3 year Period for free repair. And as Mid 2010 is now 3 years ago and the first case fall out of that time frame they might be thinking about that. This would be the best option for sure.

- Get it repaired by apple. This will cost you 480 € here in europe. But that doesn´t make much sense. So when the apple genius shows you that repair cost it automaticly shows you how much more it would be to buy a new one.

- So buying a new one is the next option. But after having this experience that might also not be your favorite choice.

- have it repaired by an unauthorized dealer. That might be the best option, but the one I know the least about. Is it possible to exchange the graphics card only? Where do I find somebody who really knows about that problem? ....

So perhaps somebody knows of some other options or can give more detail to any of these options!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Aug 24, 2013 3:16 AM

4 replies

Aug 24, 2013 11:04 AM in response to Linc Davis

I did that before already but I still had panics, even with automatic switching disabled.

Now I installed gfxCardStatus which will always show me which graphics are used and the possibility to either only use one or the other. Perhaps that will give me some more information.

But after having like 10 panics in a row this morning the macbook is now running smooth for like 8 hours, while working with an external display and using VLC ( which require "high performance graphics" according to gfx..)

So perhaps this program will give me some more insight into what I can do and how it could possibly be repaired.

But these panics really seem totally random so far. The only constant I see is, that when starting the macbook after it was turned off for a while, I will have a few panics at least, but once it´s over that I might be running quiet a long time without any problems.

Somehow that seems similar like a car I had, where there was a loose contact which was fine when hot, but always stalled the car when the metal had not expanded enough.

Perhaps there is some way for a diy repair!

Aug 26, 2013 4:22 AM in response to Linc Davis

That the replacement part may well be defective too, is probably very true and so any repair, that cost money doesn´t make sense.

I couldn´t find information anywhere, what the real cause of the problem with the logic board is. My last hope for an diy repair would only have been that, there just a little loose contact between the logic board and the graphics card. So that perhaps you could apply preasure at a certain part of the graphis card or the logic board to prevent that loose contact from happening. But I have no idea if that even makes sense!

For the time beeing I unplugged my external display and use that gfxCardStatus to stay in integrated Mode only! That really works! But it should only be temporary.

Intermittent black screen or loss of video TS4088 Options with no warranty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.