Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

with itunes 11, how do you add an ePub book into the itunes book library

iBook

Posted on Aug 23, 2013 11:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2017 12:38 PM

This is a very late reply ..but for anyone who's still looking for an answer (in 2017, like I just was):

1 Locate the file which is on your Mac and which you want to be able to read in iBooks on your iPad or iPhone.

2 Ctrl-click it, and choose "AirDrop".

3 You'll probably see a message about turning on Bluetooth (and Wi-Fi if it's not already on). Turn on Bluetooth

and Wi-Fi on your iPad, or iPhone, too.

4 The iPad (or iPhone) should show in your "AirDrop" window on your Mac. Click on your device (iPad or iPhone)

and the file will then be transferred to that device.

5 On the device (iPad or iPhone) you'll see that the file has arrived, you can then choose WHICH APP to use to

open it, e.g; "iBooks".

6 File will then appear in iBooks, and will always be readable there. Turn off Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, etc.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2017 12:38 PM in response to Yen2828

This is a very late reply ..but for anyone who's still looking for an answer (in 2017, like I just was):

1 Locate the file which is on your Mac and which you want to be able to read in iBooks on your iPad or iPhone.

2 Ctrl-click it, and choose "AirDrop".

3 You'll probably see a message about turning on Bluetooth (and Wi-Fi if it's not already on). Turn on Bluetooth

and Wi-Fi on your iPad, or iPhone, too.

4 The iPad (or iPhone) should show in your "AirDrop" window on your Mac. Click on your device (iPad or iPhone)

and the file will then be transferred to that device.

5 On the device (iPad or iPhone) you'll see that the file has arrived, you can then choose WHICH APP to use to

open it, e.g; "iBooks".

6 File will then appear in iBooks, and will always be readable there. Turn off Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, etc.

Aug 26, 2013 11:13 AM in response to Yen2828

Hi there,

You may find the article below helpful.

iBooks: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about iBooks and the iBooks Store

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4059

Can I download books from other websites?

Yes, you can download ePub and PDF files on your Mac or PC. Add them to your iTunes library choosing File > Add to Library, or drag the ePub or PDF file to the Books library on your computer. To read these books, simply sync them to your device in the supported formats.

-Griff W.

Feb 6, 2014 3:48 PM in response to griff w

With itunes 11 there is no book category on the left hand side. I've tried just dragging from their containing folder and that doesn't work. I have a first generation iPad with a Macbook Air with OS X on it so the iBooks app came with that OS. Is there still a way I can transfer those .epub files through iTunes to my iPad?

Feb 11, 2015 8:09 AM in response to cbs4590

There have been some confusing answers here so I thought I'd give it a shot - after figuring it out. This method assumes you have your iPad synced to a computer you have access to. Also, the instructions are based on a Mac running Yosemite using iTunes 12.1 and iBooks

1) Open the iBooks app and add your ePub files to iBooks. You can simply drag your ePub files into iBooks.

2) Ensure your iPad is connected to your computer and open iTunes.

3) Click on the iPad icon in the iTunes menu.

4) With your iPad selected, you'll see a sidebar menu. Select Books in the sidebar menu and you'll see all of the books that are available in your iBooks app, including the recently added ePubs.

5) Select which books you'd like to sync to your iPad.

6) Click on the Sync button to begin the process of transferring your ePubs to the iPad.

7) Open iBooks on the iPad and start reading.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.