Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie record mode with a Panasonic HX-WA30

I have just purchased the above HD camera for use with iMovie and I am having trouble as to what format to record in. On the top quality on the camera it shows 1920 X 1080 60i but this gives me problem importing into iMovie, it takes ages for the software to convert it. Also in the record types is iFrame at 960 X 540 30p and this just goes straight into iMovie ultra fast with what looks like no conversion time. Is it worth setting to top quality I could come back from say a holiday with 4gb of footage it would take ages. I have put footage from the camera into iMovie using the above record types then put this to iTunes and streamed to AppleTV and the iframe footage looks better. Any help with this would be great I just don't have a clue as to the best frame rate and method ?. Please note i do not record onto DVD i only use iTunes to AppleTV to stream video to my PAL Uk TV

Posted on Aug 24, 2013 7:36 AM

4 replies

Aug 24, 2013 8:50 AM in response to Shylock1966

Unless you have some reason to use other settings, (which you do not seem to know that you have,) the iFrame video format results in optimized performance with computer and TV.

If you have doubts about your particular circumstances and want to experiment a bit, you could make two short test videos that are identical except that one is recorded in iFrame and the other is 1920x1080 60i. Take the time to import them both, view the outputs via your normal ATV method, and then decide if the additional time and disk space merit going beyond iFrame.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.8.4

Aug 24, 2013 9:42 AM in response to EZ Jim

Just one more thing, on the listing on the apple website it says the following

Panasonic HX-WA30

iFrame / MPEG-4

Memory

NTSC

when i am inporting video and doing a new project it always comes up with what system to use, do i leave on NTSC or change to pal for the Uk it also says incorrect frame rate and asks to change or leave it any ideas on this ?

Aug 25, 2013 8:12 AM in response to Shylock1966

Shylock1966 wrote: ...NTSC or ... pal for the Uk ... any ideas on this ?

If you are in the US like I am, use NTSC.

If you are in Uk, I do not know whether you must use pal for your purpose. If you do not get better help here, perhaps iMovie '11: Overview: NTSC, PAL, and Cinema format video will get you on the right track.

Alternatively, perhaps one of the Support articles linked inApple - Support - Mac Apps - iMovie such asiMovie '11: Start a new projectwill give better help.

If you ultimately cannot determine what settings are required by making short (a minute or so) test projects that differ only in the system setting or other test pairs that differ only in frame rate, I suggest you Contact Apple Support about your iMovie App.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.8.4

Jun 3, 2014 10:13 PM in response to Shylock1966

Hi Shylock,

Just came across this thread. You probably have answers to your questions. But here's what I have found using the Panasonic HX WA30.

1. 720px60 works best for me and results in a smoother video with iMovie if I set the frame rate at NTSC (30fps) when I import. Next best would be 720px30.

2. 1080i - Don't use it as iMovie doesn't handle it well and you'll get interlace lines in the picture - especially in video where there is moving action.

3. At 720px60, importing time is around double the record time. i.e. if video clip = 1 min, download time = 2 mins.

4. PAL vs NTSC. I have tried importing using both, and NTSC results in a smoother picture (i.e. no judder / jumping etc.) This is because (I believe) in iMovie it's easier to convert the recorded image from 30fps (1:1) or 60fps (2:1), rather than 25fps PAL (1.2:1) or 24fps Cinema (1.25:1). Plus when burning DVD's, the frame rate I understand is 30fps. So if I burn to DVD, which I normally do, it then converts it back to 30fps.

5. I also think you'll find that going via Apple TV it won't matter whether frame rate used is NSTC (30fps) or PAL. Your TV should be able to deal with both (although I haven't tested this).

I live in Australia where we also use PAL, I find that it doesn't seem to matter whether you download at NTSC or PAL. But recorded frame rate vs download frame rate does. So too 1080i vs 720p.

As EZ Jim says - try all and see what works best. That's how I worked out what's best (for me)

I hope this helps yourself and others.

Using iMovie '11 on Snow Leopard

iMovie record mode with a Panasonic HX-WA30

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.