Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Workgroup Manager will not connect from a remote machine

Setup:

XServe G4 1.3GHz/1.5GB hosting DHCP/DNS/NAT/Firewall/FTP/SMB/AFP/MySQL/Web

NAT/DHCP assigns 10.0.0.x internally on En0, EN1 is connected to the WAN (Uverse).

All functions are working as they should, except one:

I cannot connect to the server via Workgroup Manager via Server Admin tools on my Mac Pro (which is assigned a 10.0.0.x address as per my DHCP/NAT configuration). Workgroup Manager works fine on the XServe itself if I use Screen Sharing to remote into the server, but I want to be able to configure the users from my Mac Pro without having to ARD/VNC into the server.

To be clear, I can use Server Admin and Server Monitor fine to manage those aspects of the server from the Mac Pro, utilizing either Web-Server.local or the server's En0 address (10.0.0.1) and the administrator username and password; however, if I try to use Workgroup Manager in the same fashion, once I click connect, nothing happens. The login dialog stays onscreen, I never get a failure or timeout notification. The app is not crashed, I can open menus, quit app, etc just fine. It just never connects. Does anyone know how I might begin to diagnose the issue? It isn't a big deal, but niggling issues like this are the kind that drive me crazy, because I cannot see any reason why it shouldn't work as advertised.

Xserve, OS X Server, 10.5.8

Posted on Aug 24, 2013 7:32 AM

There are no replies.

Workgroup Manager will not connect from a remote machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.