Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot add Users as Members to Groups (10.8.4)

When I add a new User and then try to add the Group from within 'Server.app', I get a message "Operation was denied because the current credentials do not have the appropriate privileges."

It's very frustrating.

I try the same task in WGM 10.8 and I get a different message "Not implemented, This action failed because an Open Directory plugin has not implemented that functionality yet."

If I do it from a Group standpoint and add members to the Group, I get the same problem.

Same result ... no user added to group.

What is the solution here?

(Old Users with Groups configured from previous OS work fine.)

Thanks in advance.

Xserve, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), XServe(services running AFP,NFS, OD

Posted on Aug 24, 2013 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2013 3:28 PM

Check your Certificates in Server.app and make sure your OD certificate is properly configured. That worked for me.

2 replies

Feb 21, 2014 1:47 PM in response to Vince.B

I am getting the same "Operation was denied..." message with pretty much anything I do in regards to user management. I cannot create a new user or edit any of the current users. Settings for the certificate look correct for an SSL certificate issued by RapidLLS.

I did have to renew the Apple push notifications certificate but the settings for that certificate look correct to me. Problems seem to have come up after renewing this certificate. Is there something I need to do with this certificate I am missing. Status of the certicate on the Apple Push Certificates Portal is Active and the description shows our server name and apns:com.apple.calendar/contact/mail/etc. The previous certificate was still showing up and was displayed as Expired. I did revoke that certificate in case it was causing problems but it says it will take 24 hours to revoke.

I cannot add Users as Members to Groups (10.8.4)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.