Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clean Install and Restore from Time Machine

Hi All,

Just after some advice, I'm thinking of doing a clean install of OS X when Mavericks comes out. I've been a Mac user for 13 years and have always used Migration Assistant to move my data over whenever I've bought a new Mac. I've never done a clean install before, but I've noticed over the years all the crap that's floating around my hard drive from old Mac's and various files from software I've removed years ago. I'm sure there's tons of rubbish that's accumulated over the 13 years.

Someone suggested clean installing OS X and then using Migration Assistant to load all my data back on from a Time Machine backup, but customise what I want to restore. I was told that if I don't choose to restore System Settings or something similar then it should just restore all my other stuff such as apps, files, itunes and iphoto library, etc. but would leave out all the rubbish. Is that the case?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 2.6GHz, 8GB Ram, 512GB, 1GB NVIDIA

Posted on Aug 24, 2013 9:22 AM

2 replies

Aug 24, 2013 5:41 PM in response to TJ Skywasher

TJ Skywasher wrote:

. . .

Someone suggested clean installing OS X and then using Migration Assistant to load all my data back on from a Time Machine backup, but customise what I want to restore.

Largely agreeing with baltwo, it's probably not worthwhile.

I was told that if I don't choose to restore System Settings or something similar then it should just restore all my other stuff such as apps, files, itunes and iphoto library, etc. but would leave out all the rubbish. Is that the case?

No. If you transfer everything with Setup Assistant when the Mac first starts (preferred), or Migration Assistant later, and leave everything selected, it will transfer everything except OSX (which you just replaced) -- all your apps, user home folders, data, settings, etc. There's rarely a point to that.

With either Assistant, you can omit some broad categories of things, but you can't "pick and choose" individual items even if you knew which ones you wanted. See Using Setup Assistant on Mountain Lion or Lion. Read the first few paragraphs, then scroll down to the Transfer Your Information windows and the pink boxes below them for details. The windows and procedures for Mavericks may be somewhat different, but functionally the same.

If your Mac is just full of junk, be sure it's well backed-up just in case, then delete what you know you don't need.

If it's sluggish, after trying everything else, as a last resort you might want to do a clean install transferring everything except apps, then reinstall the extra and 3rd-party apps you want from the original discs or re-download them. If you have a lot (you probably have more than you think), that can be a daunting task. You''ll also need the serial numbers / purchase keys for them.

Clean Install and Restore from Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.