Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Raw Update 4.08 removes distortion correction for Sony RX100 files?

I loaded raw update 4.08 on my 27 inch iMac yesterday. A while later, I opened Aperture 3 to export some RX100 files from a family event last week to Smugmug. To my horror, as the photos loaded when I viewed them, the automatically applied lens distortion correction was removed and obviously it was worst with the wide ones. The issue also shows up in iPhoto, so it seems a general OS thing. To confirm it was indeed due to the raw update, I exported the same raw files to my MacBook Air, which I hadn't updated yet. Sure enough, Aperture loaded them with distortion correction just fine. Obviously, I won't be updating the MacBook until this issue is fixed.

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 24, 2013 10:36 AM

35 replies

Aug 24, 2013 12:37 PM in response to TBannor

TBannor wrote:

I loaded raw update 4.08 on my 27 inch iMac yesterday. A while later, I opened Aperture 3 to export some RX100 files from a family event last week to Smugmug. To my horror, as the photos loaded when I viewed them, the automatically applied lens distortion correction was removed and obviously it was worst with the wide ones. The issue also shows up in iPhoto, so it seems a general OS thing. To confirm it was indeed due to the raw update, I exported the same raw files to my MacBook Air, which I hadn't updated yet. Sure enough, Aperture loaded them with distortion correction just fine. Obviously, I won't be updating the MacBook until this issue is fixed.

This may be disappointing, but it is expected. Note that Aperture has removed nothing, however. What you are seeing is caused by using a RAW Original instead of a JPG Original.

The Apple RAW Compatibility Update is part of the OS. The RAW converter in OS X is system wide. Any program can use it. Aperture uses it.

Aperture does not, afaik, do _any_ lens correction. Lens correction must be handled by a plug-in or external editor (or done outside of Aperture).

The files you had imported and viewed prior to the most recent RAW Compatibility Update were JPGs. They were converted in-camera. The camera contains the software to correct for lens distortion when it converts the sensor data to a JPG file. Now that you can view the converted RAW files, you can see that this distortion correction is not applied. That makes sense: Aperture is doing the conversion, not your Sony camera.

So there is no issue to be fixed. If you want to use Sony's lens corrections, you have to either use the JPGs created by the camera, or convert the RAW using Sony's RAW converter (Image Data Converter v. 4). Other software may also apply lens distortioin correction (I don't know). Aperture does not.

This is a much-asked-for feature request. If you would like to see it added to Aperture, tell Apple. The only line they listen to is "Aperture➞Provide Aperture Feedback". It certainly wouldn't hurt to add your voice.

HTH.

--Kirby.

Aug 24, 2013 12:46 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

Read my whole post. Aperture absolutely does apply distortion correction to Sony RX100 files, or at least it did until Raw 4.08. Transferring the raw files to a Mac not updated to 4.08 results in distortion correction being applied to the raw files automatically, no plugin needed. I'm not an amateur and have used Aperture from day one. I know what I'm talking about.

Aug 24, 2013 2:01 PM in response to TBannor

Hi I had the same problem after updating today. It's really disappointing that this slipped by. This post hasn't been approved by moderators yet but here is the link from a discussion I started on dpreview http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52042972. For other readers, you can see a before and after photo of the issue.

Here is what I wrote and how I fixed the issue. Hope this helps!

I've noticed an issue with my Aperture photos after updating to Camera RAW 4.08. Photos taken with the RX100 are no longer corrected for lens distortion. This correction happens in most RAW convertors and is normally transparent to the user but after applying the update all of my pictures began to become uncorrected. I can only confirm this issue is with RX100 since I have already downgraded.

It took me a while to figure out how to downgrade because there is no official way to do it. I tried several approaches but ended up with this fix. You have to go to /system/Library/CoreServices and replace the two RawCamera.bundle and RawCameraSupport.bundle with older raw files from another computer (or backup). Do this at your own risk!

Also, if you happen to like the extra real-estate an uncorrected image provides, go ahead with the update!

Aug 29, 2013 6:40 AM in response to TBannor

Me too. Imported a bunch of photos into iPhoto on the weekend, they were fine (e.g. the raw filter properly corrected the barrel distortion).

Did some touchups on the same photos in Aperture last night, and as I accessed each one it undid the barrel distortion correction that had previously been applied.

Glad to see I'm not alone, and it's clearly related to introducing support for RX100 II. Hope they fix it soon!

Aug 29, 2013 7:25 AM in response to ramses2320

There is a quite simple way to fix that (unless Apple releases a good 4.09 update) mentioned above, and which worked for me on both Lion et Mountain Lion :

1) download the 4.07 update from Apple's web site.

2) go to System / Library / Coreservices and delete "RawCamera.bundle" and "RawCameraSupport.bundle"

3) install 4.07 update (installer won't work if the two files mentioned above are not put to trash)

4) restart computer

5) Aperture uses 4.07 Raw converter and the 4.07 is in the System Library Coreservices folder.

Raw Update 4.08 removes distortion correction for Sony RX100 files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.