Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network Users Can't Log in on OS X Server 10.8

Hi Everyone,

I recently installed a Mac Mini Server with OS X 10.8 into my office that has a mix of 10 different users - all with a range of Macs of varying models from different years. I have binded over half of the users to the network, but there are 4 remaining users that keep throwing the "Logging into the account failed because an error occurred" message. I've entered the server IP in the DNS -> Advanced field, binded by putting in that same IP (same settings that work for the other computers), but no matter what I do I can't seem to get it to work. The odd thing I'm noticing with setting up these network users too is that it is extremely slow and hangs when the Macs that have been successful have logged in the first time. If you try to access Finder, it throws the -600 error saying that Finder is not available, and the request to keep resetting the keychain access keeps popping up when using applications like Safari. However, if the computer freezes in that network user desktop and you force reset the computer, it works perfectly the next time you log in as a network user on that specific computer.

I tried repairing permissions on the Mac Mini Server and it keeps saying that it's unexpectedly finding ACL in the Users folder, then repairs it. However, this isn't solving my problem - it seems like it's just blindly shifting permissions in the background to clear the ACL finding. I've searched everywhere on the forums and can't seem to find a direct solutions, but here is what the server is logging during that error:

Aug 23 12:41:03 server.moderainc.private kdc[49]: TGS-REQ amanda@SERVER.COMPANY.PRIVATE from 10.0.18.5:50699 forkrbtgt/LOCAL@SERVER.COMPANY.PRIVATE

Aug 23 12:41:03 server.company.private kdc[49]: Server not found in database: krbtgt/LOCAL@SERVER.COMPANY.PRIVATE: no such entry found in hdb

Aug 23 12:41:03 server.company.private kdc[49]: Failed building TGS-REP to 10.0.18.5:50699

Aug 23 12:41:03 server.company.private kdc[49]: TGS-REQ amanda@SERVER.COMPANY.PRIVATE from 10.0.18.5:60723 forldap/server.company.private@SERVER.COMPANY.PRIVATE [canonicalize]

Aug 23 12:41:04 server.company.private ruby[788]: CFPreferences: user home directory for user kCFPreferencesCurrentUser at /var/teamsserver is unavailable. User domains will be volatile.

Any suggestions on where to start looking for the solution would be immensely helping and thanks in advance! Also as a side note, everything else on the server - users, groups, VPN, File Sharing are all working great. It's just this part that's really baffling me.

Mac mini, OS X Server

Posted on Aug 24, 2013 11:17 AM

2 replies

Nov 11, 2013 9:32 AM in response to RRFS

I also had this same issue a few times, out of the blue; no software updates or changes. Just came in one morning and none of the user accounts could authenticate, including the admin and diradmin accounts!

My logs were filled with similar entries.

Unfortunately, The only solution in my case was to dump the opendirectory altogether and start from scratch.

Fortunately, we only have this one Mac server with a small population of users, 4. the other 272 domain accounts are on Windows servers.

Anyone have a idea why the OS X server 10.8 open directory might be failing this way?

Network Users Can't Log in on OS X Server 10.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.