Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore specific event in iphoto library

One of my events has been corrupted and, as I have a large iphoto library with many events, I wanted to find out if it was possible to restore just one event from a recent time machine backup, rather than restoring the whole library. How do I do this?

I have snow leopard operating system and iphoto from ilife 11.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Aug 24, 2013 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2013 2:14 PM

Unfortuantly not - used to be - suggest to Apple - iphoto menu ==> provide iPhoto feedback

However it is strange - maybe impossible - to have one event corrupted - why do you think that and how do you thikg it occured

Have you tried rebuilding your database? Backup your iPhoto library, depress and hold the otion and command keys, launch iPhoto and use the resulting first aid window to rebuild yoru database

LN

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2013 2:14 PM in response to DanielMLondon

Unfortuantly not - used to be - suggest to Apple - iphoto menu ==> provide iPhoto feedback

However it is strange - maybe impossible - to have one event corrupted - why do you think that and how do you thikg it occured

Have you tried rebuilding your database? Backup your iPhoto library, depress and hold the otion and command keys, launch iPhoto and use the resulting first aid window to rebuild yoru database

LN

Aug 27, 2013 10:43 AM in response to LarryHN

Thanks - how annoying you can't just correct 1 event! I was in 1 event and, I don't know how, but all of my uniquely named photos converged to have 1 title. I can solve it in other ways by reimporting but having to retag people and places is annoying.

I did not want to rebuild the database in case it made matters worse as it is only the 1 event that needs to be recorrected.

I will provide some feedbackto apple.

Aug 27, 2013 10:51 AM in response to DanielMLondon

Apply the two fixes below in order as needed and note what is circled in the two screenshots:

Fix #1

1 - launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down and rebuild the library.

User uploaded file

iPhoto 8 (09) and earlier- run the options indicated

User uploaded file

iPhoto 9 (11) and later- run Option #4 to rebuild the database

Fix #2

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

1 - download iPhoto Library Manager (iPhoto 8 or earlier or IPhoto 11 and later) and launch.

2 - click on the Add Library button and select the library you want to add in the selection window..

3 - Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the

File ➙ Rebuild Library (iPhoto 8 or earlier)

or

Library ➙ Rebuild Library (iPhoto 9 or later)

menu option to rebuild the library.

4 - In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.

5 - Click on the Create button.

Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments. However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.

OT

Aug 27, 2013 12:13 PM in response to DanielMLondon

In this case, as I know the problem is isolated to 1 event and my library is 100 gb, I have not chosen the rebuild option this time. Hopefully Apple will enable the restore of a specific event in a future release

Your iPhoto database is corrupted.

Note that the db is what manages your Library. Unlike your Library the db is not broken into discrete Events that are somehow unrelated. It's a single SQL file. So while the problem may currently be isolated in your Library it is not isolated in your db. So restroing a specific event would not fix your db.

Restore specific event in iphoto library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.