Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Burning a DVD project encoding error

I created an iDVD project about a year ago. I now want to burn additonal copies of this DVD. When I open the .dvdproj file and select Burn DVD from the menu, the process starts but stops at the process movies strp with the error mesage: "There was an eror durning movie encoding". I have made copies of this DVD in the past. I have the DVD. Is it possible to just copy the good DVD to another DVD if I can not corrcct this error?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, MacBook Air, IPad v1, Apple TV v2

Posted on Aug 24, 2013 12:46 PM

10 replies

Aug 24, 2013 1:01 PM in response to jimhaynes

Have you edited the movie since burning the first video DVD? Go to the Advanced menu and select "Delete Encoded Assets". Then try again.

However, follow this workflow to help assure the best qualty video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

If you get the same response while trying to create the disk image start over with a new project and add the media to it.

OT

Aug 24, 2013 1:27 PM in response to Old Toad

OT,

I have not edited the movie since I created it. I deleted the Encoded Assets and got the same error message. I found I have a QuickTime .mov file and copied that to a DVD. I was hoping I could send the DVD to someone who could just put the disc in a DVD palyer and watch the movie. This is my second choice and may work.

Thanks

Aug 24, 2013 3:23 PM in response to jimhaynes

Good afternoon, Jim.

You have several options:

1) Keep working with the existing iDVD project - encoding takes lots of hard disk space and processor power (even if you already made a DVD). You can avoid this in the future by following OT's suggestion to create a disk image -- disk images also make the burning process more reliable.

In any case, if you have less than 15G of space on your boot drive (your primary HD), iDVD could have trouble creating the DVD. Quit other applications as well.

2) Use the QT file -- if you want this to be playable in a DVD player, you'll need to create a Video-DVD using iDVD (or Roxio Toast, or similar). Just drag the QT file into a new iDVD project and follow OT's suggestions.

3) Copy your existing DVD -- I use Roxio Toast for this task, but Apple's Disk Utility should also be able to handle it. See: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2059

John

Aug 25, 2013 9:03 AM in response to jimhaynes

Export the slideshow out of iPhoto as a QT movie file via the Export button in the lower toolbar. Select Size = Medium or Large.

Open iDVD, select a theme and drag the exported QT movie file into the open iDVD window being careful to avoid any drop zones.

Follow this workflow to help assure the best qualty video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

Aug 31, 2013 2:55 PM in response to jimhaynes

Select new. In the next window you'll select a theme for the menus. The older themes have simpler themes that you might like. Experiment. When you drag the movie into the menu's window don't drop it in any drop zones that might there there.

Surprisingly enough size doesn't count with iDVD, only playing time. The limit for a single layer DVD disc is 120 minutes, including menu time.

Burning a DVD project encoding error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.