Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop appledouble from creating on NAS

Hi, i have a problem where any media file i transfer to my NAS has a hidden .appledouble folder created there also. This is causing me a problem as i use my NAS as a media center, and there are hundreds of duplicates of my media artwork because of the .appledouble. I know i can delete them manually but going through hundreds of folders is a pain. I have tried using blueharvest which doesnt work for the .appledouble files only the .ds_store files. I have also used the terminal command "defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true". Which again does not work. How can i stop os x creating these files? I really need them to stop creating. I know they are used to store data on windows harddrives etc. But they dont store any usefeul data for me as i have deleted them manually before and all of the media info etc is still there. Please help me get rid of this junk.

Macbook Pro Retina 2012 10.8.4

WD Book Live

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 24, 2013 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2013 4:55 PM

Those files are a method of encoding HFS extended attributes on filesystems that don't support such attributes. They're created by the NAS itself, not by your computer.

14 replies

Aug 25, 2013 2:41 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for the reply, i have e-mailed Western Digital and received this reply:

We researched about these ".AppleDouble" files and they are not created in any way by the My Book Live. In fact, these files are created by Mac OSX for representing files on foreign file systems (such as Windows' NTFS), to keep the attributes of the original file system of the file (HFS+) on other systems that may not support the same attributes of HFS+.

So i have no clue on what to do now. Any help would be appreciated

Nov 10, 2013 5:43 AM in response to umutyildiz

> defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true

Assuming that the Mac was rebooted after typing the above command, this appears to have been tried already by the original poster.

These directories contain metadata relating to files on AFP network shares when they are on a filesystem which does not natively support resource forks (including shares which are exported with multiple protocols such as NFS, CIFS as well as OS X's own AFP) - my Synology NAS has them, for example.

The small binary files within the .AppleDouble directories have the same name as the actual files, and contain metadata about the file which cannot be stored inside the file itself, such as indexing information.

I've succesfully removed all these files from my NAS (I urge caution when doing this in a script), and disabled the creation of them by running the above command and then rebooting (or possible just relaunching Finder, it was a long time ago).

You can check if the option has been set within the desktop services settings with the following command:

defaults read com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores

This should simply return "true" if the original write command was successful.

Sep 3, 2014 11:40 PM in response to Adam20120

Yeah, have the same "problem" with my NAS. Definitely, it's a way Mac OSX clients work with foreign file system. The problem here is not these folders "per se", but the fact, you get error when try to copy something from NAS, that contains .AppleDouble inside.

I wrote Automator routine to get rid of these files, when I need to copy something massively from NAS.

Here is link to Automator file

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l6i5v17hkv7da6p/AADjoKJ4dF-JgSWi2eYm15ega?dl=0

When run it, choose folder where to search and delete! .AppleDouble. Works recursive (check all subfolders and so on).

Mar 25, 2015 6:27 AM in response to Adam20120

Hi - just a polite bump, I cant get this script to work. Or maybe it does, but it finishes in less than 3s for a 500GB folder of audio files... doesn't seem right!

I have my settings as follows:

Start at folder - itunes

Type: files and folders

Allow multiple selection: checked

Then click run and all over pretty quickly.

Any suggestions on what I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

Mar 30, 2015 8:42 AM in response to Adam20120

Finally found a good solution! You will not prevent them from being made but you will never have to see them again connecting trough smb(samba):

Terminal or putty

Login MBL: ssh root@ip_address_MBL

default password= welc0me

0. cd ..

1. cd etc/samba
  2. nano smb-global_veto.confchange: veto files = /.nflc_data/to: veto files = /.nflc_data/.AppleDouble/.AppleDB/.AppleDesktop/.TemporaryItems/.NetworkTrashFo lder/Temporary Items/Network Trash Folder/Thumbs.db/Desktop.ini/This will hide and disallow access to all the named files/folders more can be added as you like

3. HIT: ctrl+O (to save changes then) ctrl+X (to exit editor)

4. /etc/init.d/samba restart

Jun 14, 2015 8:28 PM in response to lamordnt

Find and Remove Appledoubler is a folder on my computer when I unzip the file - contains 2 folders: _MACOSX inside of which is a _ with nothing, and the other folder is CONTENTS. nothing I click on opens automator -- any ideas? apparently files I've stored on our network drive (home) have this .appledoubler issue and my husband (a PC guy wants it gone). Any help would be appreciated. Oh, and I'm not comfortable using terminal --- thanks

Stop appledouble from creating on NAS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.