Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a Bad Language filter app for MacBook Pro..?

I have a couple young kids, that like to watch certain shows. And some of the content is actaully helpful stuff for them to learn. However, I was wondering if anyone knows of an app, or another way of filtering, or silencing the cuss words that some of these guys use.. Any help is very appreciated..!! Thanks- ANGLER

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 16 GB

Posted on Aug 24, 2013 1:40 PM

7 replies

Jun 7, 2017 8:37 AM in response to anglertrader

I have this very same question and I realize that they can't use voice recognition software,b it Closed Captioning is available on ANYthing we watch these days. I would think it would be easy to send the CC through a filter that could mute the language. There is a system that does that for DVD and Blue Ray, (please see TVGuardian or ClearPlay) but the streaming companies such as Netflix will not allow the filters access to the closed Captioning. :-( It saddens this mama's heart. There are so many things I'd like for my children to see, but don't think it's worth the trouble to fill their heads with foul language at such an early age. :-(

Aug 24, 2013 1:59 PM in response to anglertrader

Yes, its sad that today even the kiddie shows are using stinky language. 😊

But there is no word filter, just a rating system for parental control parameters to keep "?" rated shows blocked.

To create a filter that does voice recognition for ANY words at all is beyond the pale incredibly complex.

Even Million $$$ supercomputers cant do voice recognition worth anything. 😉

Aug 24, 2013 2:03 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

Ok...Bummer.. But thank you for the helpful info- Maybe this thread will spark someone to create one- If I knew how, I would- It would make an absolute fortune..!! I know that I can't be the only parent who wants to be able to watch certain things with the kiddos, but it's just not something I want to expose them to... And who is totally willing to pay for that kind of app...

I know they will ultimately hear that stuff- I just don't want it to be for quite some time....:-) ANGLER

Aug 24, 2013 2:08 PM in response to anglertrader

If a million dollar liquid cooled supercomputer the size of a house CANT do voice recognition........then its a long way off for a laptop to do it. 😊

Even apps such as dragon nat. speaking only processes the words long after theyre said,....they cant catch them at the time theyre said, not thru a TV show etc. with background music etc.

Is there a Bad Language filter app for MacBook Pro..?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.