Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any way to view photos in a particular iPhoto backup on Time Machine?

We downloaded a set of photos to our computer from our camera but they seem to have disappeared. We use Time Machine but before I restore to an older iPhoto library I would like to look at it and see if the missing photos are even in there. Thank you for your advice!

iMac

Posted on Aug 24, 2013 3:39 PM

2 replies

Aug 24, 2013 3:51 PM in response to okoume

If you know their file names you can use Time Machine to browse the originals folder (I believe - not near my Mac to verify) and see if they are there

For the future it is a best practise to keep your photos on the card after downloading never letting any computer including iPhoto to delete them - after you are sure they are safe and at least one backup cycle has successfully completed then use your camera's format command to reformat and erase the card

I use three 32GB cards in rotation so I do not format my cards for over a year giving me a fifth backup (two daily backups, a cloud backup and an occasional off site backup) for my images

LN

Aug 25, 2013 9:47 AM in response to okoume

The only way to see if the photos are in a TM backup is if you know the file name of any of the photos. If you do know the file name download and use Find Any File to search the TM drive for the file name. If it's there you'll get a result like this search for an image file named Canon PS S100.jpg:

User uploaded file

When you restore the library do not restore it as the only copy. Select the option to keep both copies:

User uploaded file

That way you can open the restored library and export the photos you're looking for to a folder on the Desktop. Then open your current library and import the "missing" photos. This will allow you to restore an older library that may not have your more recent photos and still retain those recent photos.

OT

Is there any way to view photos in a particular iPhoto backup on Time Machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.