Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Broken Mac App Store Fix?

Does anyone have a fix for a broken MAC App Store?

I have a Mac Book Pro, about 1-1/2 years old running 10.7.5. Everytime I attempt to install updates App store gives me the message "An unknown error has occurred".

Apple support has been ineffective to date, despite many hours stepping through the various levels of tech support. A supervisor had me completely reinstall my operating system and I still get the error. No idea what else to try.

May be irrelevant, but, coincicdentally, this error seemed to coincide soon after upgrading my Iphone 4S to IOs 6 (which I resisted until one day I hit yes by mistake - aaargh!). My Iphone App Store works (except for IBooks update which has been installing constantly but never completely) but I cannot sync anything via Wi-Fi anymore. I can get mac mail on my phone but not on my Mac Book Pro and calendars and contacts no longer sync......

Posted on Aug 24, 2013 4:17 PM

4 replies

Aug 30, 2013 7:42 AM in response to lanton2000

Update - my IBooks updated after syncing my Iphone in ITunes. One down. No idea why it couldn't load through WiFi as all other phone apps do - go figure.

MAC App Store is still broken - getting "an unkown error has occurred" when I try to sign in. This is maddening!! There are 4 Mac software updates I haven't been able to access due to this error.

Still have issues with mail from old mac.com address and contacts and calendars still don't sync between my phone and my Mac. I think this has something to to with ICloud because I never had these issues before the IOS 6 update - - Help!

Sep 29, 2013 11:15 AM in response to lanton2000

Broken Mac App Store - PLEASE HELP ME - Still can't update any apps I've purchased through the Mac App Store on my MacBook Pro. Receive " an unknown error has occurred" every time I try to sign in.

I have changed my password, disabled firewall, disabled virus protection, as well as the complete reinstall of the operating system and nothing has worked so far.

Still can't receive mac.com mail on my macbook even though I receive this mail on my IPhone.

Contacts and calendar changes on my IPhone still don't sync through wi-fi or ICloud so I have to remember to add each change to my MacBook Pro when I come home. May as well return to writing everything in a Day Runner!

Does anyone have an idea I can try? It's getting to be desparate times.

Sep 29, 2013 3:35 PM in response to lanton2000

Back up all data.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

Right-click or control -click the line and select

Services Reveal

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password. Reboot and test. If there's no change, restore the item you deleted from a backup, overwriting the one that may have been created in its place. Otherwise, you may need to recreate some of your settings in the Network preference pane.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C). In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Credit for this solution to ASC user luis.pinhor.

Oct 4, 2013 7:08 PM in response to lanton2000

HALLELUJAH!!

OMG - Luis, you are my hero. The steps you listed re: network preferences.plist resolved ths issue and my Mac App Store finally, after more than a year of trying, allowed me to sign in and update all the apps I had waitng. My Mac.com, .Me.com & ICloud email addresses are all finally working and properly merged into one email account, .

Unfortunately, my contacts and calendar are still not synching but that is a problem for another post and another day.

Thanks so much for your help!

Broken Mac App Store Fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.