Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Theater in Wireless Network

I have a home theater system that has an Ethernet port to support AirPlay and receive software updates. It is not convenient to connect it with Ethernet wire to the internet’s cable modem.

I have both the Apple TV and AirPort Express with unused Ethernet ports. They are connected wirelessly to my Time Capsule, which is connected to the modem.

Could the home theater system be connected with Ethernet cable to either the AirPort Express or the Apple TV?

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 24, 2013 7:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2013 6:37 AM

If the AirPort Express is configured to "extend a wireless network", then the Ethernet port is enabled and could be used to establish a network connection.

First test to make sure the port is working by temporarily connecting a laptop to the Express using an Ethernet cable. Turn off the wireless on the laptop and see if you can get an Internet connection that way.

If you can, you know that the Ethernet port and cable are both working, so you can now connect the Ethernet cable to your A/V device and set it up for network and Internet access.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2013 6:37 AM in response to DougEverett

If the AirPort Express is configured to "extend a wireless network", then the Ethernet port is enabled and could be used to establish a network connection.

First test to make sure the port is working by temporarily connecting a laptop to the Express using an Ethernet cable. Turn off the wireless on the laptop and see if you can get an Internet connection that way.

If you can, you know that the Ethernet port and cable are both working, so you can now connect the Ethernet cable to your A/V device and set it up for network and Internet access.

Home Theater in Wireless Network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.