Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I see my DHCP clients list on my new Airport Extreme AC?

I've been searching through and I've seen a lot of discussions about seeing your DHCP clients. The problem I have is that they are older discussions, 2012 and older.

I just purchased a new Airport Extreme AC to replace my very trusty Cisco NAT. I'm trying to get better range (new job required re-configuration of tech items in house) and not as much buffer bloat/rebuffers while streaming video. (I have a very solid Verizon FiOS 50/25 connection). The one thing I'm not finding is a list of wired & wireless DHCP clients and their information.

While I most certainly appreciate Apple's "Set it and forget it" capability and reputation, the network admin, techy, geek, engineer side of me would like to know more. I run back ups, stream video, have a lot of home automation wireless, kids on iPad's, iPhone's, work PC (bad words I know...), remote desktoping, remote desktop over the internet, Network Attatched Storage device, etc happening here (not all at the same time usually). Oh yeah, I'm a perfectionist too. So needless to say I crave more information.

Any help is appreciated. Or am I just at a point where I'll need to push the "I believe" button?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Aug 24, 2013 6:25 PM

45 replies

Jul 26, 2017 9:17 AM in response to sailingtwidget

Old question but perhaps this answer may help some others...

When opening the Airport Utility application and clicking once on the Airport Extreme icon, for example, you can already see all connected devices in the popup window. But when you hold down the Alt key and then double click on the Airport Extreme station's icon, you will view more details of these connected devices.

Aug 25, 2013 6:30 AM in response to sailingtwidget

How do I see my DHCP clients list on my new AirPort Extreme AC?

Unfortunately, you can't, since Apple removed this function in AirPort Utility 6.x versions.

The best that you can do is a Wireless Clients List as follows:

Open Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Hold down the option key while you double click on the AirPort Extreme icon

Click the small arrow next to each client to reveall more information about the connection

Aug 25, 2013 6:32 AM in response to sailingtwidget

How do I see my DHCP clients list on my new AirPort Extreme AC?

Unfortunately, you can't, since Apple removed this function in AirPort Utility 6.x versions.

The best that you can do is a Wireless Clients List as follows:

Open Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Hold down the option key while you double click on the AirPort Extreme icon

Click the small arrow next to each client to reveall more information about the connection

Dec 30, 2013 9:05 AM in response to joebark65

If you are running AirPort Utility 5.6.1 and the tab for DHCP Clients does not appear next to Wireless Clients, this indicates that you have the AirPort Extreme configured to operate in Bridge Mode.

You can verify this by clicking the Internet icon at the top of the screen, then clicking the Internet Connection tab just below the icon.

You will see that the setting for Connection Sharing is set to "Off (Bridge Mode)" on your AirPort, as in the example below:

User uploaded file

That means that you have another modem/router or gateway device that is handling the DHCP assignments for all clients on the network....and you will need to get into the logs of the modem/router or gateway to see the complete list of DHCP Clients.

Dec 30, 2013 11:16 AM in response to joebark65

It appears that you are using AirPort Utility on a PC...and I don't have one here to test.

My DHCP List shows all devices....both wired and wireless. If yours does not, then I do not know why.

The IP address of the system I am currently using is not in the list,

I do not know what you are referring to here when you say IP address of the system.

If you close AirPort Utility and then open it again, the Summary page will indicate what your Public IP address is and what network IP address the AirPort is using. That IP address will be 10.0.1.1 unless you have changed the IP address range.

Dec 30, 2013 2:10 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Yes, I was working on the PC side and unfortunately on the Mac side of my system I'm running AirPort Utility v6.3.1 which as you state above does not allow this functionality.

Regarding

The IP address of the system I am currently using is not in the list,

I was referring to the DHCP address provided to this system (wired LAN connection to AirPort Extreme). The IP address does not show up in the list of DHCP clients on that tab and thus the root of the issue....on the PC side that is.

FWIW, I've placed an enhancement request to the AirPort team so hopefully at some point in the future this will be added.

Bob, thanks again for the exchange, I really appreciate your time and willingness to discuss. Have a great day and a Happy New Year!

Best regards,

Joe

Dec 30, 2013 2:32 PM in response to joebark65

I was referring to the DHCP address provided to this system (wired LAN connection to AirPort Extreme).

That would normally show up on the Summary page in AirPort Utility. Look for IP address at the bottom of the list of settings on that page.

But, if you have the AirPort base station connected to your LAN....and you also have the AirPort set up to handle DHCP and NAT....you are running a Double NAT error on the network, which can cause communication errors. That may be why you do not "see" all of the devices that you think you should, since the NAT firewall is not allowing all traffic through.

Best to run the AirPort in Bridge Mode if you have another router "upstream" on the network.

How do I see my DHCP clients list on my new Airport Extreme AC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.