Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thumbnails sidebar gets smaller and smaller...

Problem: Every time I save, close, and then reopen any file, the thumbnails sidebar gets smaller.

About a half-second after opening any document with the thumbnails sidebar open, it shrinks just a little. It will keep shrinking every time I save, close and reopen unitl the thumbnails are the size of a single pixel or disappear entirely. What's weird is that the sidebar shrinks to a smaller width than is even allowed. You cannot manually make it this small.

I've deleted and reinstalled Pages and the problem persists. I asked a friend to try to replicate the issue on his computer, he could not.

I'm using Pages '09 v4.3 (1048) on Lion 10.7.5

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Pages-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Aug 25, 2013 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2013 9:41 AM

Does this happen if you use Pages in another user account on your computer? You can create a new user account in the System Preferences > Accounts

12 replies

Aug 25, 2013 10:30 AM in response to reticentfaux

I think that uninstalling and reinstalling is one of the things to be done but after uninstalling you should restart the computer and also do some maintenance. You can use the free Onyx from http://www.titanium.free.fr/

Also look in the Users> your name > Library > Preferences and delete com.apple.iwork.pages.plist To find the right Library click on the Go menu in the Finder while you press the Option key.

Install Pages again. Cross you fingers it did work.

Aug 25, 2013 7:31 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Eureka!!! I figured it out. Thanks Peter for the recommendation to check 3rd party software. At first I thought, "no, the only thing I installed after the clean boot was Pages and Chrome."

But then I realized I was using a Logitech wireless mouse, so I unplugged it and voila! The problem disappeared!

So I'm stoked I figured out the cause, but I'm wondering why the heck this Logitech mouse would cause such a weird bug...

Anyway, thanks to all for the help!

Aug 27, 2013 10:38 AM in response to reticentfaux

Aha! A solution! (Again!)

Here's the rub: scroll bars.

OS X Lion tries to be smart about when to show scroll bars and when not to. When using a trackpad, it hides them. When using a mouse, it shows them. This causes a problem with the Pages thumbnail sidebar when opening a document with the sidebar visibile and a mouse plugged in. The app gets a signal from OS X to turn on scroll bars automatically when appropriate. When these scrollbars kick in, the scrollbar that pops up on the thumbnail sidebar shoves the thumbnails over to make room for itself, thus making them smaller.

SOLUTION:

• Go to System Preferences > General
  • Change "Show scroll bars:" to anything EXCEPT "Automaticaly based on input device"

The "Automatic" setting causes the problem.

User uploaded file

Thumbnails sidebar gets smaller and smaller...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.