Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which MacBook for college/Business Major as secondary computer?

I already have a 17.3 inch Acer Aspire 7560, I am upgrading the hard drive to 1TB and it will be my main computer for media usage. Such as games, movies, photos, and some music. However I need a laptop for college, while this does just fine I will be needing something more portable as my current laptop is quite heavy at 7.5-8lbs, that along with my books and 20 mile commute each way is back breaking.So something under 5lbs is important, as well as, a good battery life, I would prefer something with atleast 6 hours of battery life. I would also like a CD drive, and a ethernet port but they are not neccessities on my laptop, which I know the MBA doesnt have but if its the better computer I will purchase it, I usually connect to wifi. It needs to have some what durability, I have a 3 year old and while she doesn't touch my computer, sometimes she accidentally knocks off the couch, and It will be put in my backpack along with books. This will not be my first MacBook, I own an iPhone 5, and an original iPad I also had the original MacBook back in 2008 and I love it. i really do prefer Mac over PC so that wont be an issue as far as transition goes.But how do files transfer to PC to Mac and Back to PC. I will store my pictures in my PC, edit them in my Mac, and then back to PC for storing.

My Mac Needs

Speed

Portability

Long Battery Life(as well as fast charging, and a charger that doesnt fall out of a laptop)

Durability

Easily transfering file(PC to Mac)

Able to run-Office 365, Photoshop, MyMathLab, and Lightroom.

Very minor gaming-Nothing that demands high graphics, just the occasional old school mario emulator for down time on the go.

My budget is 1300 MAX! I would prefer to stay under that.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4, 16GB white/silver

Posted on Aug 25, 2013 11:02 AM

3 replies

Aug 25, 2013 11:09 AM in response to kmonty0710

Since your gaming requests are near nill, and you want portability and long batt. life the answer is the Macbook Air 13" I5 $1200

Only one moving part, ultrafast boot time SSD, the full power of laptop with the weight of an Ipad (close).

Air is the only Mac that has Haswell, 802ac wifi, and incredible 12hr. batt life in 13" I5.

since $1300 is your budget, 8gig over base 4gig RAM would be recommended.

Macbook Air 13" I5 8gig Ram.

Aug 25, 2013 1:50 PM in response to kmonty0710

yes, people think due to the thin size it isnt durable. but in FACT its more durable than the macbook Pro. Not that I dont advocate the Pro, I have one and love it. However the Air is great to pack around, and its 8 second to boot time is perfect for carrying around.

Pack around a regular laptop around about 20 days, then an Air, .....after that the standard laptops stays at home.

Why? Only one moving part, the fan.

No moving HD heads to crash or moving platters. Runs a LOT cooler than anything else out there (which = durability). Heat is a laptop killer on a scale of 10X over that of accidents.

Also the AIR has far fewer parts to fail inside than a standard laptop. Really only 4 replacement parts, the logic board, fan, SSD, and battery.

What you see below in the Air is 80% batteries, the rest is a logic board.....a fan, and a SSD (solid state drive).

User uploaded file

Of course ANY laptop is a fragile creature in general.

I used to repair laptops, had 1000s pass thru my hands. Ive had 3 Airs (sold off the older one), Id consider same more reliable and durable than any generic laptop.

The alloy aluminum case aids to heat dissipation and doesnt flex in case of a drop.

Also the light weight of the AIr makes for a low mass inertial damage in case of a drop. That's not to say the Air will come out ok in a drop, Ive dropped my old one a few times with just a minor dent and scratches.

buy accident insurance on ANY portable laptop. Such insurance is only $40 a year. 😊

Which MacBook for college/Business Major as secondary computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.