Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari displays PDF as non-readable text

Recently when I open a PDF file in Safari it displays as non-readable text. How can this be fixed?

MacBook Pro, 10.7.5 Lion; Safari 6.0.5; Adobe 11

Posted on Aug 25, 2013 12:32 PM

5 replies

Aug 25, 2013 1:36 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

I gave your recommendation a try, however nothing changed. I did upgrade / install Adobe Acrobat Reader 11.0.5

several days ago because I was on a site that recommended the update in order for me to view a file. That is when I noticed things going wrong. I've tried trashing the Adobe Reader and reinstalling, but that didn't work either. I read some info on the web about an Adobe plug-in to be trashed because of problems encountered, but I don't know where to find the plug-in to trash. Appreciate any help to be sent my way.

Thanks

Aug 25, 2013 2:34 PM in response to Info4Me

After some further research I resolved the problem. The Adobe Acrobat Reader installation was indeed the culprit. I had to unlock and allow myself to access as a root user on the Mac. Then I searched the \Library file for the "Internet Plug-ins" folder. I created a new "Internet Plug-ins Disabled" folder and moved the following 2 Adobe plug-in files 1. AdobePDFViewer.plugin; 2. AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin to the Disabled file I just created; or you can move those two files into the trash folder. Either way should work. I did actually have to do both, becasue the 2 files copied rather than moved. Most important after performing this task REMEMBER to LOCK the root user before resuming normal work on your computer. Root user access has a lot of power and can yield a lot of havock if you inadvertently forget and have left in unlocked.

Safari displays PDF as non-readable text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.