Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Performance Difference: 3 yr old Mac Book Pro vs. New Mac Book Air

I want to replace 3 yr old MacBookPro5,5, w/ 2.53 GHz Intel Duo and 4GB RAM with a new 13" MacBookAir w/ 1.7GHz Dual Core Intel i7 and 8 GB RAM.

Will there be a performance difference?

Posted on Aug 25, 2013 2:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2013 2:53 PM

Here are the technical specifications. You can compare them:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009) - Technical SpecificationsJun 9, 2009

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013) - Technical SpecificationsJun 10, 2013

8 replies

Aug 25, 2013 3:19 PM in response to Gum Runner

In general terms, computers have advanced a whole lot in 4 years.

I have a new MacBook Air (having owned several previous generations of Apple Notebooks) and can say the performance is great for my needs. I also did the 1.7GHz and 8GB RAM upgrades as you mention.

Don't let the fact that the 1.7 GHz is a smaller number than the 2.53 GHz number you currently have bother you. The Haswell processors have a "step-up" (or some similar term) property that makes them fly. You can see the MacBook Air pages on Apple's website for more.

Go for the replacement. You will be glad you did.

Aug 25, 2013 3:33 PM in response to Allan Eckert

Mostly web surfing, email, music and may start some home video editing. Nothing too demand.

My son's a theatre techy guy and does cad programs and puts his Pro thru its paces. We just do moble home computing stuff.

I like the Air's better battery life, lighter weight and solid state hard drive.

Put a SSD in a 5 year old mac mini we have and the change was huge. So I'm thinking the Air's SSD alone makes it a good bet. Although I did entertain getting an OWC SSD and 8 GB RAM and just upgrade the Pro. But that's probably 1/3 the cost of the new Air. And then the Pro's still 3-4 years old.

Thanks for your help.

Performance Difference: 3 yr old Mac Book Pro vs. New Mac Book Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.