Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot sync video to iPad

I have an iPad I with iOS 5.1.1. I am unable to sync a QuickTime ,mov to my iPad. When I try to Sync I get and error message, "Can not be copied because [name of movie] can not be played on this iPad.

To export this slide show from iPhoto, I selected the Slideshow in the left column, clicked on the export button at the bottom, In the Export window I selected "Large" and "Automatically send slidshow to iTunes". It never appeared in iTunes, So I dragged the mov file into the Movies folder in iTunes.

It now shows in the iTunes Movies folder and can be played in iTunes, but I can not copy/sync it to my iPad. I have another video that I created and exported to my iPad and that videro, which I did not drag to iTunes, plays fine on my iPad.

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Aug 25, 2013 1:40 PM

3 replies

Aug 25, 2013 1:49 PM in response to jimhaynes

It depends what video codec the .mov files use. The video formats/codecs supported by the iPad are:

H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

There are many apps that can be used on a computer to convert a noncompatible format to one that is supported by iOS.

Aug 25, 2013 2:37 PM in response to jimhaynes

I deleted both of the videos with the same name and started over by going back to iPhoto and again Exporting. Nothing went to iTunes eventough I checked "Automatically send slidshow to iTunes". I now have 2 copies of this movie in my iPhoto Slide Show folder that are .m4v files. in the Export window that I get in iPhoto I have Export Movie to QuickTime movie checked.

These are my selections for the Export:

User uploaded file

This the window I get after I check Large and export:

User uploaded file

Cannot sync video to iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.